An Investigtion Of The Bacteria Present On Public Drinking Fountains | Teen Ink

An Investigtion Of The Bacteria Present On Public Drinking Fountains MAG

By Anonymous

   This project involved the investigation and isolation of several unknown species of bacteria from a designated source such as high school drinking fountain. The initial tests involved the identification and isolation of several gram-negative and gram-positive bacilli. Some further testing led to the possibility of enteric bacteria inhabiting the drinking fountain. The tests involved using standard media and procedures which led to the identification of specific genera, Enterobacteriacea and gram negative bacilli.

Frequency of bacterial types on the drinking fountain was also determined by monitoring the presence of bacteria on a daily basis. Disinfectants and antibiotics were also tested by analyzing zones of inhibition on agar-spread plates. The possibility of bacteria coming from the water supply was also investigated by testing water samples taken from the drinking fountain at various intervals. This served as control and reinforced the conclusion that bacteria were on the fountain itself.

The contributions of this project have promoted public awareness and concern for proper sanitation in the workplace. Antiseptics and disinfectants are necessary in the prevention of the contamination and occurrence of bacteria on public drinking fountains. Secondly, the benefits of proper testing, using standard microbiological procedures and techniques, have led to the identification of several genera of bacteria found on these drinking sources.