One of a Kind | Teen Ink

One of a Kind

September 30, 2015
By Jackie_Rojas SILVER, Wilmington, Delaware
Jackie_Rojas SILVER, Wilmington, Delaware
9 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Break the rules. Be a fighter. Any dream is possible if you are brave enough to do it YOUR way." - A.J Lee


“He’s part of the family, He’s one of us” People think that pets are just accessories to us. Creatures from the wild that we take away from their habitats and train them to be loyal pets, but their wrong yes some of us do have pets. We treat them as brothers/sisters.

When I first got my cat he was an orphan. I still remember the day I first got him I thought to myself “Jesus he’s the ugliest thing I’ve ever seen”.  I look back and laugh at that. What was I thinking when I said that? What crossed my mind when I thought that? We eventually adopted him and named him Tom but it came with complications, it did take me some time for me to get use to him. I would always tell Tom to get away from me and not come near me at all, and Oh Boy I think he did understand because he wouldn’t come near me for that entire day.

As the months went by I started to get use to him. I started playing with him more frequently. We created a bond that couldn’t be broken. We had a connection something that everyone has with their pets and it was love, love for them that no one can explain it’s like having a new baby brother again. You can’t help but feel affection towards them.

On the first day of February everything was going great Tom was walking around giving everyone some “love”. My mom had decided that it was time for him to go out and have some fun in the backyard he was a year old we didn’t want him to be inside the house all the time. We took him out and left him their just to play with the snow and run around. I think he was having fun since he kept on rolling around the snow. An hour later I went out to look for him but he wasn’t anywhere near the backyard we waited another while and we got ever more worried he wasn’t anywhere outside or inside the house.

Something wasn’t feeling right that’s when my aunt came running in and telling us that Tom was outside in the backyard and he wasn’t breathing. At that moment I felt like everything around me vanished I didn’t know what to think, what to do, we were all dumb struck that’s when reality came crashing down on me. The cat that I once didn’t like was in a critical position. He was dying on me I started feeling a wetness running down my cheek I went outside to pick him up to take him to the vet as soon as possible, there had to be a way for him to get better and I know he would get better.

When we finally got to the Animal hospital the vet took him in right away. I had so many questions racing through my mind. What happened during that time? He had a good health status. What had caused this crisis? The vet came out looking somber “I’m sorry to inform you that you cat was poisoned” I felt like someone had just ripped my heart out and bounced on it thousands of time and threw it right back inside my chest I felt like the world was coming to an end for me we didn’t know how he was poisoned. Even tho 3 years have passed since his death we still have him in our heart “He’s part of the family, He’s one of us “I would tell my mom and there’s nothing in the world that can change that. 21 reads my jersey number 2 representing the month he died and 1 meaning the day we lost him February first  and that my way of keeping him alive.