Mr. Rogers Remembered | Teen Ink

Mr. Rogers Remembered MAG

By Anonymous

   It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood..."

You know how the rest of the song goes. For many, the songvirtually defines kindness as we know it. Every morning when I was little, I,along with millions of other kids, tuned in to watch Mr. Rogers sing this littleditty while welcoming us to his home and changing his shoes. This was nobeginning to any ordinary show that taught the ABCs and colors. It was the startof a show that taught its young viewers that everyone is special.

The showcovered everything from the concept of sharing to the reassuring statement thatit is okay to take a bath because you won't go down the drain. There was theNeighborhood of Make Believe, which was filled with puppets that interacted witheach other and adults. While other shows tried to impress viewers with animationand special effects, Mr. Rogers charmed his audience with things that reallymattered.

On February 27, 2003, Fred Rogers, 74, died of cancer. He leftbehind a wife, two sons, and two grandchildren. But he also left behind millionswho had watched his show since its first broadcast in 1968. Every one of usremembers the times when we were scared of taking baths, and we are the ones whostill know that we are special. We loved this man who cared so much for childrenthat he dedicated his life to loving and teaching them.

It's amazing, theeffect of the death of a man who hosted a children's

television show on abunch of teenagers. As the news spread through my school, I could see mournfullooks on many faces. There were tears shed, and memories shared, of how the showhad touched them years before. I talked to my older sister about Mr. Rogers'death, and her friend, a senior, admitted that she cried.

This man's showtaught more than virtues to little ones. He touched our hearts forever and willbe missed by all of us. Mr. Rogers, you are a special person, and that is why welove you.