Follow Your Heart | Teen Ink

Follow Your Heart MAG

He looked me up and down, grinned, and said,"I don't think we have anything to offer you." I felt rejected. All Iwanted was information about his college and its auto mechanics program. So whatif I was a girl?

I was attending a college planning conference inWisconsin when this happened. From that point on, I was determined to proveeveryone wrong - a girl can do anything.

I have always been interested inauto mechanics. True, I may not know as much as some people, but I'm learning. Ihave done all my own work on my '95 Ford Escort, sometimes with a little help. Ipay very close attention, though, and so far have changed the fuel filter, thetransmission filter as well as the gasket, oil and spark plugs. Even though itdoesn't sound like much, the point is I did it.

I'm not sure I will majorin auto mechanics, but I definitely want to minor in it and take as many coursesas possible. I think everyone should know the basics of auto mechanics. Whetheryou are a guy or a girl, it is important to know about your car. In my case, mymother required me to learn how to change a tire, check and know the fluids, andunderstand what to do if a mechanical problem should happen.

To this day,I get looks when people ask what I want to be. No doubt I shock some with myanswer, but girls can do and be anything they want, as long as they believe inthemselves and don't let anything stand in their way. So, for those girls readingthis, you have the power to follow your dreams. Don't let anyone tell youotherwise.