Special Day, Special Brother | Teen Ink

Special Day, Special Brother MAG

In my life, I’ve experienced some good and some bad days, but when I think of all the wonderful days, one in particular stands out far above the rest. That was the day my family and I finally got my little brother.

My family adopted my younger brother. The long, exciting journey began when I was six. After lots of research and paperwork, my parents went to the adoption agency to view videos of children who were available for adoption. My parents decided to adopt a baby boy from Russia, and the first video they saw was also the last. They immediately fell in love with the little brown-eyed, big-cheeked boy.

A few months later, we flew to Russia for seven days (we had to make a second trip, too) and we got to see my new brother for the first time. He was adorable and sat on the floor playing with the key chain on my backpack. After visiting him at the orphanage, we took him to get his passport. Those days passed quickly, and before we knew it we were back home.

Then ten days later, my dad returned to Russia for my brother. My mom and I had the hardest time waiting while he was gone. I couldn’t believe that I was finally going to have a little brother. Seven days slumped by, and we finally went to the airport to welcome my brother to the United States of America.

I still remember my feelings that day. There was so much excitement and anticipation bottled up inside me with no way to release it. I had to sit at the arrival gate next to my mom and lots of other relatives, and wait for my dad to walk off the delayed flight holding my little brother in his arms.

Everything was astonishingly quiet, and just as everyone had reached their limit for waiting, the most wonderful moment arrived. My dad walked through the security doors holding Charlie, my new brother, high above his head. I ran up to my dad and immediately began asking if I could hold Charlie. As soon as I realized that I was holding my new brother, here in America, and that he was ours forever, everything around me blanked out of my mind and I remember just sitting there, eyes fixed on Charlie, repeating, “I’m Emily, your big sister.” It was the day I’d been waiting for for years.

As all of my aunts, uncles, grandparents and cousins took turns holding him, I just kept thinking, I’m so lucky. That’s my brother. I actually have a little brother! This wonderful day began a great new chapter of my life.

So many great days filled with anticipation came before that one day at the airport, and so many more great days have followed, but that one, most wonderful day was the best of all because it was the first day of my life with a little brother.