Heart Place | Teen Ink

Heart Place

February 4, 2015
By madiray11 BRONZE, Port Aransas, Texas
madiray11 BRONZE, Port Aransas, Texas
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The ocean is my heart place. Heart place is a term my mom came up with to describe where you’re happiest, or where your heart is. The ocean has a spell on me, and I can’t resist being near it. I live on an island so it’s not too hard to drive or ride my bike a few minutes to get there.

Surf camp is my summer job. I love waking up in the morning to the smell of surf wax and salt water. It is almost hypnotic. Everything about the water lifts my spirits, and surfcamp makes it even better by adding children into the mix. Most mornings at surf camp involve me playing tag and giving out piggy back rides to the little ones, and throughout the day I get to tan and be out in the water acting like a complete kid. It’s wonderful. Those kids are the reason I wake up. Most of them have been to surf camp for a few years so they know me well. It warms my heart when repeat campers run up to me with the biggest smiles on their faces. Every one of them has a special place in my heart, but I have my favorites.

Parker is the cutest little blonde boy you’ll ever come into contact with. Every year he insists that I become his girlfriend (he’s six) and makes his mom buy me candy. He is as sweet as can be, and I never get tired of being around him. He is seriously so cute.
Ryan reminds me so much of myself. She is competitive with the boys and is not afraid of anything. She is a tomboy and insists to her parents that she only wears board shorts and t-shirts. She doesn’t mind getting rough and dirty, and I love seeing some of myself in her.
Molly and Charlotte are the twins. Beautiful girls with spirits that are unmatched. They never let anything bring them down and I aspire to be like them. They have been to surf camp for over 3 years, and every day they surprise me with something new. They are always searching for a new way to have fun with the surfboard. If they ever get famous, you can thank me.
Surf camp is the perfect mix of beauty and fun. I do not want to go a day without seeing those kids, and I don’t want to disappoint them. They push me to become a better role model, and I can never thank them enough. If you find a job you love, you never really have to “work” a day.