Insomnia | Teen Ink

Insomnia MAG

By Anonymous

      Lately during the night I have been tossing and turning, trying to get to sleep. I worry I might be developing insomnia. I lie there, thinking, just thinking. Everything, anything, and nothing race through my mind, bringing up my worst experiences, filling me with grief.

As I lie on my bed, staring at the ceiling, the past and the future duke it out, fighting their way to the front of my mind. It usually starts with the past pushing forward, making me remember stupid things I have done, but in the blink of an eye, the future jolts ahead with a boost of energy. He tells me what wonderful things will happen tomorrow, or possibly weeks from now, depending on his mood. The future ages quickly, though, and makes me imagine how major events will happen.

My thoughts finally catch up with me as things quiet down. The tick-ticking of my watch, that monotonous ticking, is the only thing I hear at night. Soon, the ticks and tocks turn to notes and beats, and my mind is flooded with music - not just any music, but my favorite songs. I tap my fingers to the beat and occasionally hum a few lines. Then the tune gets stuck in the back of my mind, like a dog trying to lick peanut butter off the roof of his mouth.

The music is dissipating. My mind holds only static now. I look at the bed to my left, to see if my little brother is sleeping, but I know he is. I lean over the side of my bed and catch a look at my watch, pressing the side to make it glow. The bright green light hurts my eyes in the dark. Time has played another trick on me - yesterday has officially ended and a new day has begun. Another day of school is closer than before. How will my school day go? I ask myself. As I think this over, my mind slowly gets bored with the tedious school day and I drift off into a deep sleep.