The World of Romance | Teen Ink

The World of Romance

By Yaasmeen GOLD, Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
Yaasmeen GOLD, Harrisburg, Pennsylvania

“Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.”
― Marilyn Monroe,

I read the last words: “I do Augustus, I do”. I closed the book and more tears fell down my face. With all my strength I threw the book across the room. I broke down sobbing, cradling my face in my hands. A piece of me broke as soon as I shut the cover. Slowly, I stood to retrieve the book. I picked up my phone and began to text my friend: “You have to read this...”

At age 11 I realized I had an obsession with romance novels. The teachers would try to force the classic, loveless books at me, but I openly showed no interest in them. It’s romance that I love. I can’t tell you why, it just speaks to me.

Jane Austen knew all about the world of romance. Technically, in the writing world, she created the genre. Austen burst on to the romance scene in the 1800’s with her novel Sense and Sensibility. This novel portrays the love and heartbreak of the Dashwood sisters Elinor and Marianne. Live music, plays, and books occupied the lives of those in the 1800’s, the only form of entertainment.

“I couldn’t exactly blame Jane Austen for being romantic,” said Kristin Walker author of Match Made in High School. “What the h... else was there to do back then for fun?”
In the fourth grade, I scanned the library for my addiction at the time: fantasy novels. Though the Maximum Ride series by James Patterson, held my attention I decided to try something new. My fingers ran along the spines of books until I came across Evermore by Alyson Noel, a Fantasy I wanted to read with a large romance storyline. Little did I know this started a new love.

I found myself infatuated with the love affair between the main characters Ever and Damon, not because of their amazing psychic abilities, but for their love for each other. I loved that they are not supposed to be together yet they go through everything so they can be. Something sparked inside me and I craved more. Following Evermore, I dove straight into pure romance with Perfect Chemistry by Simone Elkeles.
Perfect Chemistry portrayed a teenage gang member from the south who falls in love with a popular cheerleader from the north. Alex and Brittany’s love happened unexpectedly and made me love the book even more.

Simone Elkeles, the books author, makes originality in the genre look easy considering both Perfect Chemistry and Leaving hit the New York Times Bestseller. “Romance novels are my favorite to read,” Simone said. “I write young adult romances and am so happy to be promoting this wonderful genre.”

According to Romance Writers of America, romance fiction generated 1.438 billion sales in 2012, making it the largest share of the US consumer market at 16.7 percent. Romance is the top performing genre today.

Right now, my favorite romance novel is The Fault In Our Stars by John Green, about a young girl named Hazel Grace struggling with lung cancer. She meets a boy at a cancer support group named Augustus Waters with whom she falls in love.
The quirkiness between the two characters made me fall in love with the novel. At times I would even forget they actually had cancer. It’s unlike your average cancer novel and unlike your average teen novel. It did not end with the happy- ever-after like I’m used to, which destroyed me for a short period of time, but also fascinated me. The fact that it ended with something so real made it more relatable.

Reading romance changed my own style of writing. Each element has drifted into my stories and created how I write today. Before my writing consisted of only witches and wizards battling it out. Now my current story I am working on is centered around a young couple looking for love. In my years of reading I’ve picked up many tomes from the world of romance: The one you love you always hate, predict the unpredictable, and, most importantly, love never has a happy ending. If it does, it’s not over. Or it isn't love.

I'm in love with romance novels and I felt the need to share this love with others