Vegetarian Diet | Teen Ink

Vegetarian Diet

By Mollicz GOLD, Fairless Hills, Pennsylvania
Mollicz GOLD, Fairless Hills, Pennsylvania

There are a few types of vegetarian diets. The first type is pescetarian. This means that you don’t eat any meat, but you do eat fish. Another type is called flexitarain. If you are a flexitarain, you mostly eat a vegetarian diet, but you sometimes eat meat. Finally, if you are a vegan, then you don’t eat meat or anything that comes from an animal.

One reason to become a vegetarian is because it helps you live a longer, healthier life. By becoming a vegetarian, you don’t eat the fatty meats that clog your arteries. Meat also contains hormones, saturated fat, and sometimes even antibiotics. Another reason is that when you are a vegetarian, you tend to spend less money. Meat is becoming more and more expensive by the day, but when in season vegetables can be very reasonable. Let’s face the facts. The economy is not doing very well and people need to save every penny they can.

One advantage of becoming a vegetarian is that you are saving innocent animals lives. On the other hand though, you might not be getting enough protein. Meat is a big source of protein and by cutting it out of your life, you could lack in something you really need. A way to prevent a lack in protein is by eating a lot of nuts. Nuts have a huge amount of protein, especially peanuts and pumpkin seeds. There are also vegetables you could eat that have a lot of protein such as broccoli and zucchini. Also, becoming a vegetarian can help you lose weight because you cut out a lot of the bad things you normally eat in your life. Finally, don’t think that all foods without meat are vegetarian friendly. Some foods have hidden animal product in them. Refried beans and soy cheese are like this.

In conclusion, being a vegetarian is a very good thing, but you have to make sure you substitute the nutrients you get from meat. Also if you are thinking of becoming a vegetarian, look for hidden animal products in food. Finally, becoming a vegetarian will help you wallet, animals, your weight, and your overall health.

This piece is aimed at an audience that would like to become or know more about being a vegetarian. It includes the benefits of being one and the disadvantages. It also states the different kinds of vegetarians.