Holocaust Museum | Teen Ink

Holocaust Museum MAG

By Anonymous

   Since July 1997, I have been volunteering at the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum in Washington, DC. I work hand in hand with government employees. As a volunteer, I provide tickets for the exhibition, give orientations to groups, answer visitors questions and staff any area the museum needs. This experience has been unique because I am able to work directly with people. I am learning to deal with the public, especially those with special needs, people of foreign cultures and languages and visitors upset by the presentation of such a tragedy. One of the positions I have is orientating groups of as many as 150 people. Previously, I was afraid of speaking to any group. Now I love doing this and speaking to visitors. I really enjoy volunteering and have spent about 1,000 hours at the museum.

The thing that hits home is the way people react, especially one couple. The second day I was working at the museum, my friends and I were informed that Muhammad Ali and his wife were at the exhibition. When they were finished, they went to the Hall of Remembrance, which has an eternal flame and candles along the walls. He and his wife dropped some flowers by the flame to honor the victims of the Holocaust. Afterwards, he walked around the room, shaking our hands. His wife spoke for him, saying that they were grateful for all our efforts and were proud of us. This was special because normally one doesn't get to see the softer side of a celebrity. His reaction to the exhibition and kindness to us was touching and unexpected.