Harry Potter Obsession | Teen Ink

Harry Potter Obsession

By LexiDawn SILVER, Sanford, North Carolina
LexiDawn SILVER, Sanford, North Carolina

"My thoughts are stars I cannot fathom into constellations."

"It was books that me made feel that, perhaps, I was not completely alone."

Harry Potter Obsession

Harry Potter is a widely known series written by J.K. Rowling that has affected many people across the world. The books and movies are about the struggles of a young wizard and his adventures at Hogwarts, a school of witchcraft and wizardry. This series has pulled in many fans and some have even formed extreme obsessions. After the last book and movie came out, some of these fans just couldn’t grip the fact that the series was over. Having these severe Harry Potter obsessions can be very distressing, painful, and damaging, but there are many solutions to help ease the pain of saying goodbye.

An obsession is a love for something or someone so much that it continually preoccupies a person’s mind; In this case, the obsession is Harry Potter. Being obsessed with Harry Potter can interfere with or eventually take over a person’s life. This obsession can make a person feel too abnormal because they may scare or annoy others who do not share the same interest by talking about it constantly (Morataya 7). When someone continually talks about this series, they tend to frighten people away to an extent where they eventually have few friends left. If someone cannot stop thinking about the Harry Potter Series they may become distracted from what they are doing and turn their entire attention to the books, movies, fan sites and or blogs. This can be a problem because it can cause people to neglect their priorities and may lead to decisions that they may regret in the future. Some people have even formed a disorder called Harry Potter series End Disorder (HPSED) or also referred to as Post-Potter Depression (Morataya 9). People who have experienced this disorder often struggle facing the reality that the Harry Potter series is over (Morataya 10). All of these factors seem to take over the Harry Potter fans’ thoughts, personalities, and lives.
To overcome this obsession and bring life back into focus, there are a couple solutions that can help. One solution is to find other interesting books to read or movies to watch so you can take your mind off or It-That-Shall-Not-Be-Named (the Harry Potter series.) This will maybe spark another interest and might begin to help ease you off of your obsession. Another solution is to reduce the amount of times you visit Harry Potter fan sites, watch the movies, and re-read the books (“How to Get Over”). If you ignore this solution, you will only encourage your obsession. You can also ask your family and friends to help remind you of your goal to decrease your habits of discussing, re-reading, or watching Harry Potter (How to Get Over). It is always good to have back up just in case you start to give in to your cravings. By using these solutions and not giving up you could potentially overcome your Harry Potter obsession.
If you or someone you know is struggling to control a Harry Potter obsession, then I really recommend trying these solutions. Having this obsession can hurt you and push away those who love or care for you. This obsession can also easily take over your mind and ultimately conquer your life. Using these solutions does not mean you need to stop liking Harry Potter, it just means you need to learn to control your passion. If you do not take control of this problem as soon as possible, then it will only get worse.

Works Cited
Morataya, Kerin and Romeo, Darby. Diary of a Harry Potter Addict. Two Nuts Consortium

Publishing, 2011. Print.

How to Get Over a Harry Potter Obsession. WikiHow. Web. 22 Feb. 2012.
<http://www.wikihow.com/Discussion:Get-Over-a-Harry-Potter-Obsession>

on Apr. 24 2013 at 9:00 pm

Good point about not wanting to get over the obsession!(: And I love your user name!!!<3

on Apr. 24 2013 at 11:07 am
TheHalf-BloodPrincess, Pleasant Hill, California
I love Harry Potter! Why would you ever want to get over your obsession? Great article! Ps- I also went to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter :)

on Apr. 19 2013 at 10:20 pm

I want to go to The Wizarding World of Harry Potter so bad! Thanks for reading this; I'm glad you enjoyed it!

on Apr. 19 2013 at 10:11 pm
TaylorWintry DIAMOND, Carrollton, Texas

"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there's a light shining somewhere nearby." - Unknown

I loved it! It was so clever and cute. I recently went to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter in Universal Studios Orlando, and I can definitely say that going there did NOT help my disorder. ): That place is amazing. Great job on your article, despite a few grammatical errors.