Newborn | Teen Ink

Newborn

By sbear406 GOLD, Summit, New Jersey
sbear406 GOLD, Summit, New Jersey

A gem cannot be polished without friction, nor a man perfected without trials.
Read more at

Upon exiting the security of my mother’s womb, I am confronted by a beaming white light. I feel simultaneously captivated and blinded by it. I wonder what has happened to the warm, dark place I was in before, a place of certainty and security. I feel exposed out here. I’m not so sure that I like it. It’s different. A rush of cool air sends a tingling feeling up my delicate body, and I let out a cry that seems to please all of the spectators. I can hear them bantering back and forth to one another in an excited tone. It seems that they are infatuated with my presence. I wish I knew why.

There is some sort of cord that is attaching me to the dwelling where I previously remained. I see someone take out something that is shiny, metallic, and sharp. I’m frightened, so I continue to cry and cry and cry. The sharp object is used to separate me from my previous home, and officially release me into my new one. Into this fascinating and scary new place I’m in.

I am wrapped in a blanket that is reminiscent of the womb I so long to return to. It is warm, soft, soothing. I am handed to my mother and she holds me close to her chest. I can hear her heart beat, as I was able to when I was a part of her. It is a comfort to me. I must not be in danger. I am still with the woman who carried me for nine months, but simply on the other side. I quiet down and my crying comes to a halt. I close my eyes and breathe in and out. I wish to stay close to her forever.

But all of a sudden I feel a different set of hands reaching towards me. I worry that I’m going to be separated once again from my mother. I let out a shrill cry as I am lifted up out of her arms and into the arms of a stranger. What is he doing? Why can’t I stay wrapped in the arms of my mother? He holds me in a similar manner that my mom did. He whispers, “Hi, Sarah,” in a soft, gentle tone. I gaze up at him with my green eyes and they lock with his. My insecurity has passed and I now realize who this man is. He’s the one who has been with my mother all along. His voice, it’s familiar. I am reassured and my crying once again ceases. I open my mouth and let out a faint sigh, one that is barely audible. The man smiles at me. I close my eyes and allow his embrace to surround me.

I wonder if this state I’m in is permanent or if I’ll be allowed to return back to the womb of my mother sometime soon. I liked it in there, but this place isn’t so bad. There are plenty of people who are willing to offer me the same warmth and security that the womb once did, and I like that. I wish that I could be held forever, but the man who I have come to know as my father places me down onto a small, inviting surface where I think I am supposed to sleep. Some sort of small, soft object, similar to the blanket, but a different shape, is placed upon my head. It is warm and I feel better than ever. I’m not so scared anymore. I will be okay.

A take on my own view of the world as a newborn baby.