The Wrong Choice | Teen Ink

The Wrong Choice MAG

It was a Friday night and a couple of friendsand I were headed to Allison's house after a football game. We werehanging out when we got a call telling us about a party. We piled intoAllison's new red Cavalier and went.

Like almost every party,there was alcohol. We all had a few drinks and partied until 2 a.m. whenwe finally looked at a clock and realized we should get home. None of uswere completely sober, but it was Allison's car so she decided todrive.

I don't remember much after that. I awoke in the emergencyroom; everything was blurry. A doctor asked if I remembered whathappened but I couldn't focus on anything. The doctor explained thatwe'd had an accident. Allison ran a red light and collided with a car.That first car spun and hit a second.

"You didn't hurtanyone," the doctor said. "The driver of the first car wastaken to the hospital and released, and no one in the second car washurt." I was relieved, but then something else crossed my mind."Doctor," I asked. "Are my friends hurt? Are theyokay?"

"The driver of the car and Miss Jamie D. areboth in critical condition, suffering from internal bleeding," hereplied. I felt my heart stop as tears began to run down my cheeks. Iknew there was little hope.

At 4:15 a.m. on Saturday, just twohours after we'd left the party, Jamie was pronounced dead. At 5:36a.m., Allison died. Jenna and I were fine. Two lives were taken becausewe chose to drink and drive.

It doesn't seem fair to me that theydidn't get a second chance. They were only 17 years old. Jenna and Iboth got second chances. Why us and not them? Those questions haunt meto this day, but God gave us second chances for a reason - to educateother teens about the consequences of drinking and driving. When and ifyou have to decide whether to drink and drive, make the right choice anddon't. If my friends and I had made the right choice, my two bestfriends would still be alive.

In memory of Jamie D. and AllisonT.

i love this !