Washington D.C. Declares Gay Marriage Legal | Teen Ink

Washington D.C. Declares Gay Marriage Legal

By N.Sweet GOLD, Roslyn Heights, New York
N.Sweet GOLD, Roslyn Heights, New York

"I figure life's a gift and I don't intend on wasting it. You don't know what hand you're gonna get dealt next. You learn to take life as it comes to you, to make each day count." -- Jack Dawson, Titanic

WASHINGTON D.C.- Washington D.C. has joined Iowa, Connecticut, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, and Vermont in declaring gay marriage legal. On March 3, couples got in line starting at 6 AM near the District of Columbia Courthouse in order to receive their marriage licenses.

“This is a dream come true,” said Sinjoyla Townsend. She has been with her partner, Angelisa Young, for 12 years now. “We wanted it so bad.”

The Wall Street Journal declared that this law was very close to failing when congressmen and Catholic charities tried to stop the passing of it. The law was signed by the mayor in December, but then had to be reviewed by Congress. Chief Justice Roberts was extremely opposed to the law and tried to delay the passing of it. However, the law survived, despite Roberts’ attempts to prevent it. Meanwhile, Catholic charity organizations have been protesting greatly. According to The New York Times, employee health benefits have been limited to avoid coverage of same-sex couples and the foster care program in D.C. has been stopped.

According to Fox News, a few conservative members from the Westboro Baptist Church in Opeka, Kansas protested in front of the courthouse. Other picketers were stationed inside the courthouse. They declared that legalizing gay marriage was the “final straw with god.” However, the happy couples are rejoicing about a day that they thought would never come. Rocky Galloway and Reggie Stanley are one of these thankful couples.

"We've been together six years," explained Stanley. "Clearly this is a day that caps off our commitment to one another, and to our two daughters at home." Galloway and Stanley are raising twin 15 month olds.

Now comes the question, “How will this affect Maryland and Washington D.C.?” According to The New York Times, Maryland’s attorney general, Douglas F. Gansler, stated that Maryland should now recognize same-sex marriages performed elsewhere. It is also estimated that the local economy in D.C. will boost due to the amount of couples marrying. A study by the Williams Institute from the University of California believes that 14,000 marriages will occur in the city, leading to an increased tax revenue.