It just isn't fair! | Teen Ink

It just isn't fair!

December 2, 2009
By Canadian_eh BRONZE, Henderson, Nevada
Canadian_eh BRONZE, Henderson, Nevada
3 articles 1 photo 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Don't let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game"; "When all hope is lost, look into your heart and the light will guide the way"


“It’s not fair!” we’ve all said this at least once in our lives. In some situations, the predicaments, we just want something and say it’s not fair, but in others, a situation truly wasn’t fair. I know situations that weren’t fair quite well, I’ve been through a lot, and so have my parents’. They’ve split up I don’t know how many times; I’ve lost count.


It was about a year or so ago, my very first Summer Break, was ruined by the not so shocking news of my parents’ separating. All of the fighting they’ve been doing had to end somewhere, right? July 15, 2008, 7:15 am. It was a dreary day at my house and I was the only one trying to hide it. My mother had already escaped to her current haven, her office. It wasn’t fair, I was the only one who had no where to hide, my dad has his new house, my mom had her work, but all I had was a house that depression had taken over, at least in mine and my dad’s case. I dragged my self out of bed in time to see my dad off.


“Do you really have to go?” I asked. “Isn’t there a way you and mom can work things out? That way everyone is happy…” I persuaded. But it was useless, and I knew it as soon as I started the conversation. I tried to stop the tears that had already begun, but they seeped over my eyelids and streamed down my face. My dad shook his head and looked at me.


“Sorry, but it’s too late to talk, this is the reality. I’m sorry.” He apologized. I don’t know why though, it’s not like he wanted this, but, I know he did want the fighting do decease. I just wish that this wasn’t the fate we had to endure. My dad hugged me and the tears started to drip once again. “I’ll see you tomorrow morning, and I’ll call you tonight.” He told me and he left. Just like that, he was gone. I was alone, only the dogs, which had no idea what was going on, were there, but I was alone.


Depression engulfed me and my heart turned dark. “It’s not fair!” I screamed to the wind, knowing that no one would listen to a 12 year old’s plea for happiness. I lay down on the couch, letting the drowsiness I’d been feeling take over me, drying the tears and turning everything dark, hoping sleep was enough to kill the loneliness. It took months to recover completely, even to this day, there are still times I can’t take any more pain I’ve built up and I cry, people who see when my eyes are green know that I’ve been crying, but I’ve learned to handle anything life throws at me, and surprises are expected. Even when “It’s Not Fair”

The author's comments:
This piece was an English prompt for my english class. It was very personal to me, so I decided to right it.