Actions Speak Louder than Words | Teen Ink

Actions Speak Louder than Words

By Ryan Leiss SILVER, Houston, Texas
Ryan Leiss SILVER, Houston, Texas

Elected November of 2008 was a man who promised hope and change. A year later, it appears to many people that he says one thing and then does the exact opposite. Since much of the media has not challenged his policies and many people who voted for him are on his payroll, it is a battle for the minority to hold him accountable. A man of many contradictions, hope and change may not be for the better. The opposite of what is stated seems to be the change we can expect.

It is said that Barak Obama was the first black president, yet his mother was white and his father was black. He has said that he is for the working class while unemployment is approaching an all time high. The small business owner employs some ninety-five percent of America and is laying off much of the working class that voted for change. The change is the opposite of what was hoped for.
Obama claimed that he is a Christian. But he did not openly celebrate the National Day of Prayer and while in the Middle East, he bowed to a Muslim king. He also quotes from the Koran, since he was raised in a Muslim school and refuses to take a strong stand against radical Islam.

We all heard the promise of the two parties working together and forming new laws. Promises to show the process to all on television have been replaced instead with meetings behind closed doors with only one party and only one member of the opposing party out of one hundred seventy-five in Congress voting for a bill that could dramatically affect everyone. The tea parties are an indication that Barak Obama’s methods have led to the strongest divisions seen in our country for a long time. Isn’t it ironic that our president won the Noble Peace Prize when he has not really done anything to deserve it? If he is such a peacemaker why are radical Muslims still killing people on American soil? That is something to think about.

Saying one thing and doing the opposite works when there is little accountability. Those who do not know history or understand economics vote without knowing any better. Unfortunately, the consequences are still the same. Thomas Jefferson said, “The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.” This method is a good way to buy votes and to gain power and wealth. Whenever you slow down the engine of the train, the caboose slows down as well, or in this case is laid off. It sounds good to attack the rich, but in the end, the poor are hurt the worst every time and it delays their chance to become an engine. Jefferson also said that the pendulum would swing as history repeats itself. It would do us all good to remember that some people’s actions speak so loudly that we cannot hear what they are saying.

on Nov. 19 2009 at 11:33 am
Zinkerman SILVER, Houston, Texas
this is great!!!

johnny 12345 said...
on Nov. 19 2009 at 10:12 am
I loved this paper. Great use of Irony. This should be published in the teen ink magazine.

bobby 5645 said...
on Nov. 18 2009 at 9:27 pm
I really enjoyed this written piece. I love the use of irony towards Barrack Obama. Very well written. Why don't I see more people writting on this topic?