What Happened? | Teen Ink

What Happened?

By creativewriting12B PLATINUM, Nashotah, Wisconsin
creativewriting12B PLATINUM, Nashotah, Wisconsin

As I begin to open my eyes, the sun blind me, it’s so bright. Wait, where am I? I am laying on sand surrounded by water and trees and dead plants. How did this happen? I am on an island by myself that I’ve never been to before. What should I do? I reach into my pocket to find my cell phone… Yes, I’ll call 911. Oh darn, of course it’s dead. I searched my other pockets for a phone charger but no luck finding one. 

I get up from laying on the sand and start to look around. It smells like salty water. I was sweating like a pig. I can feel sand in every inch of my body so I put my legs in the water to clean and cool off. I look out into the ocean and don’t see anything, no sliver of hope, no boat passing by. I splash my face with water in an attempt to cool down. 

After washing off, I begin to explore the island, or what seems like an island. 

“CAN ANYONE HEAR ME, HELLO, ANYONE,” I screamed. 

No response. I see dead looking trees and bushes, little sticks on the ground, sand everyone, and wait what’s that I see? An empty bottle? I ran over there and picked it up. It’s an empty old beer bottle, probably nothing. But it does mean someone was here before me. Wait, there’s something in it. I spot a piece of paper in the bottle so I shake it until the little brown paper falls out. I pick it up and it says “GOOD LUCK,”. What does that mean? What is this, some kind of a prank? I am furious. I have so many questions, for whom, I don’t know. 

I am so confused and don’t know what to do. But, I know I’m hungry. I am so hungry I could eat everything in a restaurant. I began to scavenge around for some food. I spot a tree that looks to have berries on it. I picked some berries and they are fine, I guess. Hope they are not poisonous. 

It’s been about an hour or two (I think) since I woke up and I’m beginning to feel more awake and remember some things. Wait, last night I was at my new boyfriend's house and I ended up staying there. I don’t remember going back home to my house. Wait, what if… he did this to me. I begin to ponder what could have happened. Was I drugged and dropped off here? That’s my best guess right now. 

As I’m walking around some more, I spot something halfway buried in the sand. No way it’s another bottle. And yes, it is. Are you kidding me? I shake this one and it’s louder, I realize there’s more than just paper in this one. Doink, a coin fell out of the bottle. Huh, I think it’s like some ancient coin because I don’t recognize it. Pop, when I was shaking the bottle, something came out and it popped. Maybe it was one of those little firework things, I don’t know. What else is in here? I don’t know what any of this is. I don’t know what it's for. I don’t know what this place is? I keep shaking and lastly, another note falls out. It reads “Need a place to sleep? Build.” Umm okay, I think. I guess I should start collecting some pieces of wood and try to make a lean-to against a tree or something. 

I feel like I’m on the show survivor. I love watching that show but I would never want to be in it, but now it seems like I am. Now, I am on the coast line looking for big logs or sticks that I could use for a shelter. And, NO WAY. THERE’S A BOAT! I scream and jump and scream some more. They are coming closer to me. I never thought this day would come. After 5 of the longest days. Then, they flash their lights three times. Does that mean they see me? I sure hope so. When they arrived at the island, they were shocked to see a person there. They were carrying cars to another country and had just strolled by. I was so grateful. I hopped on their boat and they gave me food and water and now all is okay… or so I thought.