Op-ED: Psychedelic “Drugs” Used As Medicine? | Teen Ink

Op-ED: Psychedelic “Drugs” Used As Medicine?

By Raizy BRONZE, Sacramento, California
Raizy BRONZE, Sacramento, California

"Life goes on, days get brighter”-Mac miller

Psychedelic drugs, like magic mushrooms and LSD, have been found to be a potential treatment for mental health conditions like depression, anxiety and PTSD. These drugs change the way the brain works and can lead to a change in thoughts and emotions, which can help reduce symptoms and improve overall emotional well being.

Recent studies have shown that psychedelic assisted therapy can be an effective treatment option for people who haven't responded to traditional treatments. For example, a study done at Imperial College London found that taking a single dose of magic mushrooms reduced symptoms of depression in patients who hadn't responded to other treatments for up to five weeks. Another study done at Johns Hopkins University found that two thirds of participants with life threatening cancer and anxiety or depression showed significant improvements in anxiety and depression after receiving therapy with magic mushrooms. 

Psychedelic assisted therapy also has a low risk of negative side effects and a low potential for abuse, which is different from many traditional psychiatric medications that can have a lot of side effects and a high risk of addiction.

It's important to remember that psychedelics should only be used in a therapeutic setting with trained professionals and under medical supervision. These substances can have a big effect on the mind, so it's important to use them in a safe and controlled environment.

Overall, using psychedelics as a treatment for mental health conditions is a promising area of research that needs more investigation. With proper oversight and regulation, the therapeutic potential of these substances could lead to new and effective treatments for people suffering from mental health conditions. But it's important to remember that psychedelics are not a one size fits all solution and should only be used under the guidance of trained professionals.