Dream Career | Teen Ink

Dream Career

December 12, 2022
By Alec_D BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
Alec_D BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

I was in robotics class in 8th grade, working with the Vex robots when I successfully programmed a motor to rotate a crane mechanism, I felt very proud and accomplished. This was when I knew I wanted to work with robots and program them when I grew up. I have always been very interested in anything to do with computers, robotics, and programming. When I came across automation engineering while touring WCTC I instantly knew that it was what I wanted to do after high school. Seeing all the different robotic arms and what people had programmed them to do hooked me into wanting to become an automation engineer.

Ever since I was a kid, I have wanted to work with computers and do anything that dealt with using different technology in my future career. Whether it was 3D modeling different parts, putting together computers, helping others fix their computer problems, or even building computers, I wanted to do it all. My ability to quickly learn and adapt to using different things to solve problems is something that will allow me to excel in the automation industry, and that realization alone is what made me want to pursue my dream career of being an automation engineer.

Throughout my education, I’ve been introduced to many aspects of the industrial and engineering fields. I have taken classes that taught me how to design parts in CAD programs, make various items using techniques such as welding, plasma cutting, woodworking, staining, and painting, and even a class that focuses on machining different parts to create a final product. This has allowed me to familiarize myself with many programs and processes that automation engineers deal with daily. 

Recently, I started researching what automation engineers do, and what skills are essential to the position. Automation engineers need to be great at problem-solving and thinking of the most efficient way to solve the problem. Some of what automation engineers do is streamline manufacturing processes, program robotic arms to complete tasks, work with computers to program automation systems, and automate different systems to maximize efficiency.

There is a promising future in the automation field, being that a lot of manufacturers and distribution centers are starting to become autonomous. Companies can now run “lights-out”, which means that the machines can keep producing parts or products without needing anyone there to operate them. For example, shipping companies, such as Amazon, utilize autonomous distribution centers to minimize the number of workers they need, and to maximize the efficiency of their delivery process so that you can get your package as quickly as possible. This means that there will be a great demand for automation engineers in the future, which means that it will be an up-and-coming field to get into. 

To obtain this career, I intend on going to WCTC and enrolling in automation classes that focus on programming robotic arms and learning to program different systems to automate processes. Once I complete these classes, I would love to find an internship to start using my knowledge and gaining experience in the automation field. Through that internship, I hope to get a job in automation so I can finally accomplish my dream of becoming an automation engineer, programming robots, and streamlining operations.


The author's comments:

This was an essay written for the Dream Career Essay Contest.