Set Piece : Betrayal | Teen Ink

Set Piece : Betrayal

I had a pit in my stomach, a feeling I couldn’t describe, the feeling was absolutely obnoxious. My life felt like a broken mirror. But then I walked in and saw it. There it was the final creation all finished and completed by my friends, while I was gone, sick for a week. I walked around as the creation was sticking to the concrete sidewalk. I look at the creation again, astonished by the masterpiece, only to realize that I shouldn’t have underestimated my friends so much. I walk back to my friends and thank them for helping me create this for my group project for school. I was so glad my hard work paid off, considering I worked as hard as an ox. Suddenly, as I was walking back to my friends. I saw something. I couldn’t believe my eyes, as I bent down to take a look at it again. There was a signature. I looked closely and saw that the words “Paris Cookies & Cakes” were written in the tiny bottom right corner. I went up to my friends asking “Hey you guys.. how was it making the cake??” They kept talking about how it was a breeze and that “Teamwork Makes The Dream Work.” I just felt like a toddler that didn’t see any red flags. I felt like an insect eaten by mates. Chewed up and spit out.

As I walked back home on that gloomy night, I said to my friends  “It must be great to eat a wonderful cake made by a bakery and then turn it in to class only to get a zero on our assignment... Do you agree?” 

I felt as though the gloomy night shared its sadness with me. 

Not sure if the scars would ever heal. 

This set piece is about a girl thinking she could rely on her friends only to get betrayed in the end. The set piece was written in the first-person perspective of the girl, who was betrayed. And the creation is the same thing as the cake. I used symbolism, which is a literary device that uses images or objects to mean more than they do on a surface level. Symbolism was used when the girl realized that she was lied to and her friends kept telling her about how it was a breeze making the cake. Symbolism was also used to describe how she felt when she was walking to her friends in the intro, it was also used when she thought that her friends made the cake and were very thankful to them.   The words insect eaten by mates and scars both showed betrayal, toddler showed how naive she was, and ox showed hard work. Symbolism was used throughout the story as the cake not being made by her friends and bought from a bakery was showing betrayal. I also used imagery when I talk about the gloomy night, as the gloomy night was setting the scene of sadness. My favorite part of my writing is the twist we see in the middle of the set piece, where we see how the girl was fooled into thinking that her friends made the cake.