The sky is falling! | Teen Ink

The sky is falling!

The girl’s class was in the weight room because the teacher wanted them to get stronger. 

Tell us a story, said one boy. You always tell us a story at the end of class. The class looks at the teacher. 

He is tall, muscular, and a pretty funny guy.

Everyone’s eyes are on him, as he begins to tell the story.

There was a boy in high school who was 17 years old. He turned in his projects on time, hung out with his friends after school, and was on the Varsity football team. The boy lived in a house about the average size with his younger brother, who was a year younger, and his parents. His parents were both teachers, and they were very proud of their sons. The family lived down the street to the neighborhood high school. Every morning, the boys walked to school together. The boy worked at a gym. Are you with me? Are you getting the picture? 

The class nodded.

One day when the boy was at work, a customer came into the gym lobby, and scanned his member card.

There is a man outside clinging to the street sign and yelling The sky is falling! The customer said. 

The boy looked outside and saw the man outside hugging the sign for dear life.

That’s odd, the boy said. I’ll take care of that. Thank you for letting me know.

The man nodded and walked on his way.

The boy thought for a minute before he picked up the phone and dialed 9-1-1.

Hello? Said the voice on the other end of the phone.

Yes. Hi. There is a man outside of my workplace clinging onto the street sign, yelling, The sky is falling! I was wondering if you could please take care of this for us. The location is Gold’s gym in Campbell, said the boy.

Ok. The police are on their way, says the voice.

The boy thanked them, and hung up the phone. A few minutes later, the police showed up and talked to the man for a few minutes. Then they took the man away in their police car.

The next day, after school the boy went to work and stood behind the front desk as members scanned their membership cards and went on their way. One of the members that came in and scanned looked oddly familiar. The boy tried to remember where he recognized this man from. But then the boy remembered. This was the same man that thought the sky was falling yesterday. But when he walked in, he acted like nothing happened, and was completely normal.

That’s the end, said the teacher, and that is also why you don’t do drugs.

For my set piece, I decided to mimic the style of Raymond Carver, and write a story within a story. I have no quotation marks, and I refer to the characters with generic names like ‘the boy’ or ‘the man’. This story was actually told to me once.

ruchvaran BRONZE, Cupertino, California
funny story :D good job!