Move School Start Times Later | Teen Ink

Move School Start Times Later

Some schools start way too early. Some have longer school days also. Most children also do after-school activities such as sports and most high schoolers work after school. On top of their activities and work, they have homework. There is simply not enough time in the day to get everything done. This causes teens to stay up later and go to sleep after. If you are going to bed late and getting up early, it is going to take a toll on your health in some way shape, or form. For example in my personal experience, in this year alone I have been out of school for more days than my 3 years of middle school and maybe a few years in elementary school combined. Personally, I go to bed around 10:30-11 and I get up at around 5:15-5:30 for school. Not only does not getting enough sleep make you tired, but it can also lead to other significant issues.  According to the CDC, “Not getting enough sleep is common among high school students and is associated with several health risks including being overweight, drinking alcohol, smoking tobacco, and using drugs, as well as poor academic performance. One of the reasons adolescents do not get enough sleep is early school start times” (CDC). Not only does lack of sleep lead to bad grades but it is proven to lead kids towards drugs and alcohol. Also, “The American Academy of Sleep Medicine recommends that teenagers aged 13 to 18 years should regularly sleep 8 to 10 hours per day for good health” (CDC). Let's say you have to get up at 6 in the morning for school. To meet the suggested hours of sleep for a teenager you would have to go to bed at 10 o’clock for 8 hours of sleep. Some people need more sleep so that would move that bedtime earlier by a few hours. This is completely unreasonable because after school you wouldn’t have time to do anything before you go to sleep. For example, let’s say you get out of school at 3. Most teens have to work after school for an average of 3-4 hours. That is already 6-7 o’clock. Then when they get home they have to eat dinner which could take another 30 minutes to 1 hour which is already 7:30-8 o’clock. We haven't even gotten to homework yet. Let alone let teenagers have some time to relax and talk to their friends or sports practices. This recommended 8 hours can not possibly be met if a teen does anything except for homework after school. This leads kids to go to bed later and as the CDC stated, be tired, smoke, drink, and be overweight. Some schools have moved their start times back and the students seem much happier and more alert in their first few periods than in schools that start later. All in all, there is no real downside to starting school lateral, only a lot of positives.