Noah | Teen Ink

Noah

By NoahL GOLD, Sussex, Wisconsin
NoahL GOLD, Sussex, Wisconsin

My name feels like a cool sea breeze with a dash of sea salt hitting the back of your neck resulting in goosebumps, not very welcomed, but almost pleasurable in nature. Something that doesn't feel great but also amazing at the same time.

It sounds sharp. A landscape desolate and barren, covered in a thick layer of winter snow, not fluffy snow, but the type of snow that sends a shiver up your spine when you step on it. The crunch of snow under my feet reverberates around me as I walk into the expressionless white void.

My name looks dull and flat. In my sea of thoughts, a katana or sword appears. This is no ordinary sword though it seems as if it has been beaten till the sharp edge of the katana, which was once very sharp and could cut quickly, now is just a flat, dull piece of metal. This symbolizes when we were younger we thought we could do anything but as we grow older we realize there are things holding us down, whether that be from our own doing, or others.

Noah comes from the Hebrew "Noach" which means rest, or repose. If you know me personally you would know I love to relax and stay home. In my mind, nothing is better than snuggling up with a warm blanket and turning a movie on. The name Noah fits me very well in the aspect that I love to relax and chill out, but I think this is only partly true. In my daily life, I am an athlete, I love to play Football, Basketball, and Track, but it is funny that “Noah” means relax or repose because in these sports I am very relaxed or lazy. In retrospect now that I'm thinking about it I extremely love to relax, right now sitting at this desk I want to fall asleep and let the warmth and dullness of sleep wash over me. 

I think the name “Noah” fits me exceedingly well because all of the imagery I came up with speaks to me in a way I can relate to, like the sea breeze or jagged blade I believe it represents me.

This piece is what I think my name means and what it means to me.