Wanting to Fit in | Teen Ink

Wanting to Fit in

May 11, 2009
By begood2kim SILVER, Stony Brook, New York
begood2kim SILVER, Stony Brook, New York
5 articles 4 photos 0 comments

I don’t even remember if I slept the night before my first day at camp. I barely remember anything until I got into Adriane’s car. I got in there and she was wearing a yellow shirt with the camp’s name in a circle on the upper right corner of her shirt. Although the shirt wasn’t the nicest looking shirt, I wanted one more than anything. It was like an exclusive club and only club members could wear the shirt. I wanted to be part of that little club. Adriane said I would get two shirts when I get there. I had to wear one of the shirts every day no matter what. As we came up to the school I saw more than half of the like 80 kids there with yellow shirts. The other half didn’t have a shirt like me; I bet they also wanted to be part of the mustard yellow club of travel. I don’t know why, but when I got out of the car I felt unprotected. As if my protective shield from problems had broke and had left me aware of how I looked and I had left my little bubble. I didn’t know to be excited and free or run for shelter and ask to go home.
While I was having an inner argument with myself Adriane waved and said she wanted me to meet her friends. I didn’t see the people she was waving at because I was distracted with myself looking for a spot to hide. She took my arm and dragged me through the crowd. Everyone looked so calm, which made me feel more self conscious. She dragged me where there were two boys who I couldn’t quit see yet and a couple of people I recognized from my lunch room. When I say I recognized them I mean that I have never talked to them and I’ve only seen them like twice in the lunch room. I held my breath and when me and Adriane got up there my head felt like a balloon that has been filled up too much. I was about to burst.