What being an Only Child is Like | Teen Ink

What being an Only Child is Like

May 11, 2009
By begood2kim SILVER, Stony Brook, New York
begood2kim SILVER, Stony Brook, New York
5 articles 4 photos 0 comments

I forgot to mention that I am an only child. People say one of two things when I tell them that I am an only child, Aren’t you lonely ? Or Your so lucky! To tell you the truth I liked being an only child. I got all the attention, and I got all the presents. I did had a imaginary sister named Maka (don’t ask where the name came from) at one point. It was a phase and I moved on to having imaginary pets that didn’t claw my feet or stalk me for practice. I learned later that being an only child is hard work. You can’t get away with things as easy because you are the focus of your parents. There are no Other siblings to occupy mom and dad’s time. I am the favorite child but on the other hand I am the disappointment child whenever I do something wrong. At least if you a screw up with siblings there’s another brown noser child to make your parents happy. Its like parents have more than one child to have a back up kid in case they don’t like the first one. When You’re the only child all the pressure is on you. Also when you’re an only child You have to be at all the family get togethers When You have siblings as long as one goes for the parents to parade around the others can go do other things. Also the one to go to the family events can rotate. Its just me all the time it gets boring unless its family you rarely see. Than It’s how much You have Grown and How much you pretend to give a hoot.