The Truth About Your Brain | Teen Ink

The Truth About Your Brain

By mazoka04 SILVER, Tirana, Other
mazoka04 SILVER, Tirana, Other

Have you ever wondered why you can't levitate, control people's minds or even have instincts just like Spiderman? Well, today I am going to discuss why those three things may happen to you, and why it is more likely to happen to a dolphin! Why you don't use up all the storage in your brain, and how you choose to concentrate or not to concentrate.

"Your life approximately started a billion years ago; we will have to wait 400,000 years to see the aberration of the first nerve cells. This is where life as we know it, begins. Animal life goes back a million years; yet, most species use 3-5 percent of their cerebral capacity." (Asprey 2017) But us humans, access only 10 percent of our cerebral capacity; now that may seem little to you, but that is a pretty good percentage based on what humans have done with it. We have not yet found any signs of intelligence in us; we will have to wait a long time for us to see any sign of intelligence. Dolphins have access to more parts of their brains than we do because they were here long before us, so they had more time to evolve. As time passes, the brain gets more complex and starts to perform new tasks. There is one species that uses its brain better than us, and that is a dolphin. It uses a total of 20 percent of its cerebral capacity. Now it is said that if you find a way to have access to all of your cerebral capacity, you can do things no one on this earth is capable of doing; you can levitate, and control people's minds. These are all hypothesis made by scientists; we don't actually know what you will be capable of doing when you have access to more than 20 percent of your cerebral capacity, but we know for a fact that sometime in the future, we will find someone with incredible intelligence and eventually that person is gonna pass it on and on until we have incredible intelligence. Believe it or not, all human beings are smart, no one is dumb. All humans access 10 percent of their cerebral capacity, you may find someone smarter than you, but the difference is that person is using up all the storage and others just neglect to use it all, they choose to concentrate in class, and others just don’t want to focus. If there is one thing I learned in this world, if you want to do something, you do it. If you want to focus in class you focus.

The other day, I had a conversation with one of my classmates about this topic, and he said, “If dolphins were actually smarter than human beings, why haven't they taken over the world and wiped out the whole planet?” Well, dolphins can perform tasks humans themselves can't accomplish, they cannot communicate with humans which makes it hard for them to rule the world. People say they have two brains and others say they have one huge brain, well, the right answer is they have one brain and it is bigger than a normal human’s brain.

Dolphins can perform tasks humans can't do, for example, they have the power to choose one side of their brain to be activated and they are intelligent to the point where they choose which side is activated incase if a predator tries to attack them while they are asleep. Not long ago, a student wanted to test a dolphin by putting a mirror in front of it and observe how it would react. Well, this is what the student observed: at first, the dolphin thought it was another one of his kind doing the same movement he was doing, and then to make sure, the dolphin kept on moving and moving in circles. When the dolphin eventually found out it was a reflection, it kept on moving within the mirror to see how it looked like. This may be a coincidence, but, a long time ago, a fisherman put a crown made of algae on his head to imitate Poseidon and then threw it in the water, afterwards, a dolphin came out of nowhere and balanced the crown on her head; some people say it was a coincidence and others say it was an intelligent dolphin trying to imitate the fisherman. Studies show that one of the things species can do if they have access to 20 percent of their cerebral capacity is imitate someone; now this may seem easy to you, but it is fairly complicated when you actually try it. Dolphins have a complex and a more efficient echolocation system than any sonar invented by mankind. Now, dolphins did not invent it, they developed it.

Not all underwater creatures are smarter than us, in fact some are not smart at all; let's use a fish as an example. A fish has a memory span of exactly 5 seconds, I am not surprised because fish only have access to 3-5 percent of their cerebral capacity. Maybe if people stop building factories and littering, fish can live long enough for us to see the aberration of their first nerve cell and hopefully have access to 10 percent, 20 percent, 30 percent, all the way to a hundred. But we are going to have to wait more than a billion years for the fish and even humans to evolve.