Dear Vietnam Vets | Teen Ink

Dear Vietnam Vets

By Ky74 GOLD, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
Ky74 GOLD, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin

*-dont waste happiness-*

Dear Vietnam Vet,

A hero is someone that is admired for being brave and strong, for having amazing accomplishments, and for being a role model; or maybe even someone who wears a cape, has shiny hair, and a great smile. But what about the real heroes? What about the men and women that wear a uniform, a shaved head, a sad, but hopeful smile. What about the men and women that sacrifice their lives for their families, country, and future generations?

You are the hero.

I am a 16 year old junior in high school, and with that comes my occasional worries about a test coming up, or how I might have to pass up on hanging out with a friend because I have to work. In the moment, these problems seem like the end of the world. Then I think about our nation’s veterans and the men and women currently in service. When you were around my age, you were dealing with problems that most adults don’t even have to go through. The amount of courage you had, and still have, is beyond my own comprehension. Thank you for your sacrifice and service.

My grandpa served in Vietnam in his late teens. When I look at him, he smiles at me with the same eyes that saw the terrors and sadness of Vietnam. The same eyes that burned red from the smoke. The same eyes tears dropped from as he hung his head in a mumbled prayer. The same eyes that returned to a country full of disapproval, that saw the signs and protests. Because of people like you and my grandpa, I can proudly say I can worship God. I can proudly say I am a girl. I can proudly say I stand on free land. And I can proudly say I live in the United States of America, standing alongside millions who can proudly say the same.

When a man or woman is in service, coming home is always hard; having to adjust to the everyday lifestyle and try to live life as it was before the war. It is even harder when they come home to a land full of disapproval, of protests, of intense, unsympathetic and naive bullying. You never received the respect and love that you truly deserve, so I am here today to tell you:

Welcome home.

I wrote this to a Vietnam Veteran going to an upcoming Honor Flight.