Box Lacrosse Incident | Teen Ink

Box Lacrosse Incident

December 6, 2018
By BFrankie SILVER, Tirana, Other
BFrankie SILVER, Tirana, Other
8 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I don't have one" - Me


Julian was a fit, strong and healthy happy-go-lucky 11 year old. Usually, he would stay home and play video games. School wasn’t as enjoyable to him as other people make it out to be. For that reason, summer vacation was the best part of the year.  During the summer season, like most other kids, he really enjoyed playing outside with his friends instead of staying inside. American football, boxing and box lacrosse were some of their favorite sports. Every Friday after school, his dad would take Julian to practice every week. Most of his friends came to practice as well. They practiced attacking and scoring points for over 6 months. After some time, Julian got better and better to the point where attacking and scoring was like second nature. He got accepted him into joining a Box Lacrosse team. Tournaments were looking closer and the future was getting brighter. Julian was ready.

It was a hot summer day. Julian was really excited. Going to his first Lacrosse team game was the thing he was waiting for. He was against Pride, a team that had more experience in  Box Lacrosse. Julian on the other hand, didn’t have much practice or experience. This team had older and more mature kids. His team knew they had a slight disadvantage but they kept going anyways. Surprisingly, the other team wasn’t as good at defending as they expected. They didn’t have a solid strategy or a successful formation; they would just improvise. Everything was good until Julian’s team noticed that the other team was getting significantly more aggressive each time their team scored. It got to the point where every time they would get the chance, they checked. Julian didn’t notice this right away, so he tried to score. One of the defenders tried to check him. Julian’s quick reflexes helped him dodge this attack.


But out of nowhere, another defender came by and actually hit Julian with his stick. He hit him on the ribs. It was really painful. They both resorted to head to head action. The only thing that kept him going was his determination. This specific defender was older and bigger in size than Julian.  The defender got all his strength. He managed to get control over Julian. The strength was too much for Julian to the point where he got knocked out. Everything was black and empty. It was like being asleep but in a weird way. After some minutes he got back up again with an extreme amount of pain all around his body. It hurt a lot. He could barely move or talk.

His parents sent him home. Eventually the pain was getting weaker and weaker but it still hurt. It still hurt a lot. Moving or eating wasn’t as easy as before. The only thing he did that week was stay in bed and play video games. It was the most painfully boring week of his life.  Julian couldn’t sleep comfortably. His friends notified him that they had won the game. They were really proud of him and the sacrifice he had to do. After a week or two, Julian got his bag and went back to practice like always.


The author's comments:

This is an essay I made in class. It's about my friend who got knocked out during a box lacrosse match.