Cause and Effect of The Great Wall of China | Teen Ink

Cause and Effect of The Great Wall of China

November 9, 2017
By VasilijeN GOLD, Tirana, Other
VasilijeN GOLD, Tirana, Other
12 articles 0 photos 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
Eyy uhh ahh ooh lil pomp.
-Lil 🅱️ump


The Great Wall of China was built in 221-206BC and served as a source of protection from the nomadic groups and Mongols, a civilization up north. It is two thousand years old, amazingly, and it still holds. The Great Wall was built during the reign of the first emperor of China, Qin Shi Huang. Over 70% of China was busy building the wall during the time of war ("The Great Wall Of China - All Things You Want To Know"). During the build one million people died, the Emperor called anyone, including scholars to work on the wall ("The Great Wall Of China - All Things You Want To Know"). It was built by forming and connecting smaller walls and adding them together. It is almost the largest man made structure the world has ever seen. The bricks used for the Great Wall, which were destroyed from wars, to rebuild homes. 


After the death of Qin Shi Huang, other dynasties used and helped to rebuild the wall after battles, those were: Han, Ming, Sing, and any later dynasties. The Great Wall of China stretches on hills and is long 5500 miles, which was to long for men to defend each part of the wall ("The Great Wall Of China - All Things You Want To Know"). The Great Wall of China today is 5 to 6 meters tall, the average width of the wall is 6.5 meters ("The Great Wall Of China - All Things You Want To Know"). The wall is sadly called the ,, Longest Cemetery” because one million people died during the construction, and during attacks people defending the wall also died in masses ("The Great Wall Of China - All Things You Want To Know"). The official reconstruction of the Great Wall of China began in 1957. The wall had a lot of checkpoints and Flanking Towers which every 500 meters appeared on the wall, fortresses which served as access points, or passes such as: Shanhai Pass Fortress, Juyong Pass Fortress and Jiayu Pass Fortress, which had many archways and open windows for archery on the fortresses. They were the strongest parts of the great wall. After wars they made laws, which increased funding, and made people their duty to help rebuild the wall ("The Great Wall Of China - All Things You Want To Know").      Many people believe that the great wall is a symbol of China’s hard working policies, dedication, architecture and creativity. The Great Wall of China every day has seventy thousand visitors("The Great Wall Of China - All Things You Want To Know"). In 2001 there was a minimum of sixty three thousand visitors, which expanded to the known number today ("The Great Wall Of China - All Things You Want To Know"). People consider it the greatest human structure in history, and was almost the most expensive project in human history. It has seen all, blood, sweat and tears. Over 300 VIPs visited the Great Wall, one of many was Barack Obama on November 18, 2009 ("The Great Wall Of China - All Things You Want To Know"). Although there is some speculation that you can see it from space, you can’t see it from space, with an unaided eye, with a telescope you can see it from space.


All-in-all the Great Wall was a great source of: tourism, protection, attraction, and many more, it has accomplished more than expected.


Work cited
"The Great Wall Of China - All Things You Want To Know." ChinaHighlights. N.p., 2017. Web. 18 Oct. 2017.
(McDougal 275)