Patriotism | Teen Ink

Patriotism

March 5, 2016
By muellaut GOLD, Ionia, Michigan
muellaut GOLD, Ionia, Michigan
19 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
It's okay to not be okay.


When we think of patriotism, most people think of the love they have for their country and how they're willing to sacrifice anything. Being a patron, is having the courage go give others support when they need it. Everyone has their own definition of patriotism. To me patriotism means, the love people share for our country and how they would do anything for it.


Patriotism, to me, simply means love for one's country - a supportive, respectful love that is big enough, and secure enough, to also question, challenge, and face the shadows of the past or present. Love for a country is just one ring in a series of overlapping circles of concern, from love for self to love for all, but it is an important one, and should not be forgotten in our move towards a more global perspective. “Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious” said by Oscar Wilde, I think this goes really well with the topic, not just because it has to do with patriotism, it just has a great meaning behind it. There is a lot that patriotism means to me because patriotism has many meanings.


Patriotism came to the world in many different forms and the way it was presented. Patriotism was founded in the English term patriot is first attested in the Elizabethan era, via Middle French from Late Latin (6th century). What is patriotism? Is it love of one's home or place were they belong, the place of childhood's recollections and hopes, dreams and aspirations. Where can you show patriotism? You can show it by flying your flag, participating in civic activities and treating all fellow citizens with respect. When do you show patriotism? You show  patriotism by having respect for our flag, paying allegiance to our flag, and knowing the national anthem. Why do we show patriotism? Many people are true patriots, as others don't care what happens to their country. We celebrate it to remember the brave soldiers that showed patriotism. Patriotism really matters, where ever you are it's always important.


To conclude, everyone has their own definition of patriotism, which isn’t always the same.When we think of patriotism, most people think of the love they have for their country and how they're willing to sacrifice anything for it. Being a patron, is having the courage go give others support when they need it.