International Hero | Teen Ink

International Hero

By onetrueword DIAMOND, Chiang Mai, Other
onetrueword DIAMOND, Chiang Mai, Other

The Miracle Worker gives a moving glimpse into the challenging life of young Helen Keller, who became an international hero despite almost impossible challenges. The story begins at the turn of the twentieth century in the South, as a desperate mother and a country doctor are frantically trying to steer an infant, Helen, through a life threatening and altering fever, with little technology to help. Although Helen survives, her sight and hearing do not, creating a nightmare situation for everyone involved.

The family desperately struggles, as Helen grows to be a toddler and then a child, to be able to communicate and reach the, “locked-in little girl”. As local doctors and experts give up and efforts seem futile, Helen and her family find hope with Annie, a dedicated and gifted teacher who refuses Helen’s failure as a possibility. Together, they prove to the world that determination and compassion can conquer even the most impossible challenges.

The Miracle Worker is a gripping journey through the worst fears of most people; the loss of the two most important human senses, sight and sound. The audience questions what makes a human, human as Helen battles to find her humanity while lacking these seemingly essential guideposts. As Helen finally As a director, I realized and learned many things from Helen. People are not thankful for what they have. As humans, we whine about not having things like money, power, or trivial materials. But this girl, without the two most important human senses, was grateful for and developed the three senses she did have to live a fulfilling life and be successful.

We need to realize that each person has different gifts and treasures, which may be hidden, including those within ourselves. We never know when these gifts may be taken away in an instant, and to thus treasure them. Helen Keller was a great example of what the human spirit is capable of. I think this message is important to people, since they often suffer with lust for more money and power. I want to challenge you to put yourself in another’s shoe; if you lost your important senses or basic abilities, would you have strength to overcome such challenges and reach for victo
discovers the ability to organize her thoughts through language, each audience member is forced to examine and honor their own life’s struggles and those of others.