Constructive Criticism | Teen Ink

Constructive Criticism

October 4, 2014
By Catcher GOLD, Edinburg, Texas
Catcher GOLD, Edinburg, Texas
14 articles 0 photos 12 comments

Favorite Quote:
I can't explain what I mean, and even if I could, I'm not sure I'd feel like it.


It is okay to be brutally honest — as long as you can take what you dish out.

If you are going to correct someone’s grammar ensure that your own is correct, otherwise you will look like a fool and possess even less authority on the subject than you did before.

Do not rush write your responses. If you can’t take the time to double check for spelling errors in your critique, why should the writer care to go back and do the same in their writing? You ultimately harm that individual’s work. I suppose that is cunning if you’re already competing with them in the writing industry, but some might say — I being one of them — that your methods are cruel and unjust.

If you were personally bored by the piece, don’t hide that. It is unhelpful to lie to a writer because you don’t want to hurt their feelings. Most likely you are only trying to avoid confrontation. That is selfish. This doesn’t mean you should state how difficult it was for you to stay interested in the story. First you need to determine where the piece lacked luster for you. Is the style simply not for you? Perhaps it’s the subject itself. If that is the case, skip commenting on its entertainment value. You probably found it difficult to sit through for a reason they wouldn’t be able to help unless they changed their style, which is unnecessary. You do not account for their entire target audience. Rather, focus on the quality of the writing itself; more on that later. If you find the reason the piece is boring is due to the writing itself, do not be afraid to share this with the writer. However, it is important to remain tactful. If you have good intentions anyway, then every thing will work out peachy keen. An effective way to tell somebody their work is dull is by suggesting they expand their story and add more detail. Recommend that the writer add more descriptive detail of particular moments where it seems there should be more excitement. Here is a way you could phrase this sort of advice:

“I found the scene where the protagonist of the story encounters the antagonist of the story at location x to be really intriguing. One question in particular that it brought up is: how did the protagonist react when the antagonist entered the scene out of nowhere? You shared where the antagonist came from and what the protagonist said to the antagonist, but was he frightened, eager, angry, etc.? What did he physically do in response? Could you describe the scene in more depth, please? It was a really enjoyable part of the story and I feel the overall product would benefit from fleshing this part out.”

Of course that was an extraordinarily generic example, but the idea is applicable to almost all instances.

They may not take your advice. In fact, they probably won’t. This broaches the question of: why offer this type of counsel? It drops them a hint and they will keep it in mind the next time they write something. Not to mention, they could actually use it if you were especially motivating.

You should always compliment the writer’s prowess in utilizing certain techniques. If he or she is especially talented with imagery or voice you should play on that. Build them up. Allow them a confidence boost. What they proved to be less skilled with, pull examples from their text to demonstrate how what they were doing isn’t working. Maybe their wording was awkward — if so, offer alternate ways of wording the phrase or sentence that work better. Don’t do that for every example. Use that technique only once to exemplify your own abilities and to validate your point. If you do this for every example you have it will seem like you think you are better and more capable than them. For all you know they will write the next modern classic.

Only provide sincere feedback. If you read something that you feel completely neutral about, do not force either praise or criticism. Exclusively contribute your knowledge somewhere you feel it could be made use of. Otherwise, you’ll only serve to waste time.

It is a good idea to reference direct scenes and characters from the person’s writing. This will demonstrate your interest and genuineness.

Follow up on your comments. Look for responses and reply cordially and with interest. If a writer seems to have taken offense to something you said, don’t apologize. If you apologize it makes it seem like you meant offense in the first place. Instead, simply explain what you meant to begin with, and compliment them yet again, but this time with more enthusiasm. Make sure the writer understands you only meant well. If they express a desire for more input you should allow them that. Keep track of whose writing you noticed exceptional potential from, and check back on their writing later. Be sure to inform them when you notice marked improvement in their writing. Compare their previous work to their newer work.

Finally, when you notice a thread in the forums titled “feedback for feedback” or something similar, always view the work they are asking for reviews on before posting the work you want them to evaluate of yours on their post. You don’t want to be stuck reading something you really have no interest in. Like I said previously, it is important only to offer your opinion where it will be of use or have meaningful influence.

The reason I felt compelled to write this is because I’ve been both receiving and noticing poor feedback between writers. This is something I consider to be important. Responses that are not meaningful can be discouraging. It sends a message of, “Your work isn’t really worth the time to take seriously. No offense.” A writer needs to know how to handle rejection, but a peer and an editor need to know how to provide proper guidance too. Not to mention, any advice you are offering to these writers is voluntary. Therefore, there is no reason to leave unhelpful or overly nitpicky comments.


The author's comments:

I am no grammarian, editor, or expert, but I do know how to peer review and provide constructive criticism. 


Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 12 comments.


Korra BRONZE said...
on Mar. 15 2015 at 9:44 pm
Korra BRONZE, Olyphant, Pennsylvania
2 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I will not say do not weep for not all tears are an evil" - J.R.R. Tolkien

@Catcher No problem, Sweetie, sorry I call everyone that. I will definitely check them out and I need to check and see if my article is up yet. And you are welcome.

Beila BRONZE said...
on Mar. 11 2015 at 7:30 pm
Beila BRONZE, Palo Alto, California
3 articles 0 photos 516 comments

Favorite Quote:
"The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco." -Mark Twain

:D You're sweet, but I was totally kidding about the treat. While I do love feedback, I would never pester you for it. :) In regards to "their," you're correct that my "simply wrong" was not justified, considering that the English language has, in fact, evolved to include "their" as an acceptable gender-neutral, singular pronoun. As you may have guessed, I am one of those who is "old school" enough to be bothered by it; I am more comfortable using "he" as the default gender when writing about an ambiguous individual. However, I do know that the language is changing, and I greatly respect you for publicly clarifying that here. Case made. :)

Catcher GOLD said...
on Mar. 10 2015 at 9:40 pm
Catcher GOLD, Edinburg, Texas
14 articles 0 photos 12 comments

Favorite Quote:
I can't explain what I mean, and even if I could, I'm not sure I'd feel like it.

I'm so glad you enjoyed it, @Korra, and found it informational. I will definitely look at your work the second it's up. Just link me right to it once it is. If you're still interested in reading more of my work, here is a link to my profile: TeenInk.com/users/Catcher. I don't put up a lot of nonfiction pieces. I do post poetry and short stories, though I'm not as big of a fan of poetry as I seem by how often I may write it. It's something I do to help escape writer's block more than anything, though I do have a respect for it. In any case, that's my way of saying, my better work is probably my short story stuff. The only other nonfiction piece I put up on here is "Purpose-ish" which is essentially just my own musings. Incidentally, however, it does cover why I'll be taking that advice of yours to never stop writing. Thanks a bunch for your comment!

Catcher GOLD said...
on Mar. 10 2015 at 9:39 pm
Catcher GOLD, Edinburg, Texas
14 articles 0 photos 12 comments

Favorite Quote:
I can't explain what I mean, and even if I could, I'm not sure I'd feel like it.

Well thank you for appreciating it, @Beila! I'm grateful for your feedback. I'd like to address something really interesting about what you said about using their. I do see that you specified in formal writing, which I'm relieved about, because some people believe you can never use "their" singularly. However, that it is "simply wrong" to use "their" in formal writing is a common misconception since it is actually actively taught by some people. Using "their" as a gender neutral pronoun in a singular way is actually correct. Because many people disagree that it should be accepted, it is often recommended to avoid using "their" in formal writing in the event it will turn some people off. In some instances, especially when writing papers for a grade, I heed that advice, and use he/she. Many grammatical stylists agrseee that he/she can sound unnatural, which is why it is my personal preference to use it sparingly. If you notice in sources such as The Oxford Dictionary ( oxforddictionaries.com/us/definition/american_english/they ), "they" can mean, "[SINGULAR] Used to refer to a person of unspecified sex" Now, the reason I said it was interesting you brought this up is because I actually used the informal form to refer to "a group of people in authority regarded collectively," or in this case, writers in general. You may have been referring to this distinction, but I wanted to make sure anyone reading the comments was aware of it as well, because these different uses for the same "their" confuse people as commonly as the difference between their/they're/there! Thanks again very much for your meaningful feedback, and I'll definitely look twice over how I'm using their in my formal pieces. And if by treat you mean will I look over "In Memory", you can count on it (; I'll get to that soon, sometime later today.

Catcher GOLD said...
on Mar. 10 2015 at 9:38 pm
Catcher GOLD, Edinburg, Texas
14 articles 0 photos 12 comments

Favorite Quote:
I can't explain what I mean, and even if I could, I'm not sure I'd feel like it.

@Amai-kun, that's all way too generous of you! Thank you for this comment. I'm glad you usually get helpful and positive feedback (: I noticed your comment in the discussion forum, and I will check out the work you linked very soon.

Catcher GOLD said...
on Mar. 10 2015 at 9:37 pm
Catcher GOLD, Edinburg, Texas
14 articles 0 photos 12 comments

Favorite Quote:
I can't explain what I mean, and even if I could, I'm not sure I'd feel like it.

Thanks, @GwennyBird17! That's definitely the plan.

Catcher GOLD said...
on Mar. 10 2015 at 9:36 pm
Catcher GOLD, Edinburg, Texas
14 articles 0 photos 12 comments

Favorite Quote:
I can't explain what I mean, and even if I could, I'm not sure I'd feel like it.

@Kestrel135, thank you! I'm glad you find it helpful in some way. I definitely intended to be motivating, much more so than instructional. Really it was just a reminder of some basic things to keep in mind when editing. Thank you for telling me something specific you liked about it. I appreciate your feedback. I'm also sorry it took so long to reply to you. That's very unlike me.

Korra BRONZE said...
on Mar. 9 2015 at 9:56 pm
Korra BRONZE, Olyphant, Pennsylvania
2 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I will not say do not weep for not all tears are an evil" - J.R.R. Tolkien

@Catcher I really enjoyed this piece. It was very informational and very helpful. I hope to be able to read more of your work and would appreciate it if you can send me some links to more of your work. I have sent an article to teen ink but it hasn't been approved yet. When it is approved I would be more then glad to here your opinion on it. Keep writing, don't ever give up on it. You are fantastic and I like reading about your opinion on things.

Beila BRONZE said...
on Mar. 9 2015 at 1:22 am
Beila BRONZE, Palo Alto, California
3 articles 0 photos 516 comments

Favorite Quote:
"The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco." -Mark Twain

I really appreciate that you posted this piece. Thank you for doing that. Your voice is clear, informative, and respectful. I hope that this piece will help us as a Teen Ink community to improve our feedback on each other's work. Since this is about constructive criticism... :) Be sure you're aware that "their" is not an appropriate word in formal writing to replace the ambiguous gender of he/she. Obviously, writing "he/she" is a pain, but "their" is simply wrong, and that was the one error that glared at me from this otherwise fabulous piece. By the way, the last paragraph really resonated with me, regarding the message it sends when someone leaves a meaningless comment like "You're awesome!" It's almost like saying, "I'm a good person because I commented, right? Now can I have a treat?" So... You're awesome! Do I get a treat? ;)

on Mar. 8 2015 at 7:57 am
Allen. PLATINUM, Palo Alto, California
32 articles 9 photos 525 comments

Favorite Quote:
[i]No matter how much people try to put you down or make you think other things about yourself, the only person you can trust about who you really are is you[/i] -Crusher-P

This is incredible. I wish I read more of this every day on Teen Ink. Good thoughts, good ideas, good emotions, and all tied together with editing prowess and perfect grammar and spelling. I also, of course, agree with your message. I've had very little poor feedback, thankfully, but I do notice sometimes that others have very little of it, and it's saddening. I hope more articles like yours can be written.

on Oct. 17 2014 at 8:51 pm
GwennyBird17 BRONZE, Southampton, Pennsylvania
1 article 0 photos 14 comments

Favorite Quote:
Shoot for the Moon even if you miss you will land amongst the stars!

Very well written.  Bravo! You showed a lot of descriptive words in this small piece and you should be very proud.  Keep on writing!

on Oct. 7 2014 at 6:10 pm
Kestrel135 PLATINUM, Waterford, Connecticut
43 articles 0 photos 256 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Respect existence or expect resistance"

This was a very intruiging piece, and I personally find it very helpful. It acts as a good guide for anyone willing to offer critiques or critism in a way that comes across as motivating. Some points I found especially useful, such as explaining your stance rather than aplogizing on a whim - something I need to do more often as an unofficial editor - and direct references to the text. This was a well organized piece with information that I honestly think many unofficial writers and editors could use. Well done!