Loneliness | Teen Ink

Loneliness

When I was little, I often found myself alone due to the fact that I didn’t have that many friends, I often used video games to entertain myself due to my lack of friends when I was age 3. Ever since, I’ve considered myself a loner and didn’t try to socialize much. Often times I sit and wonder if this could be any different if I had made more friends when I was little.

In John Steinbach’s novel, Of Mice and Men loneliness is a prevalent theme. It often becomes revealed through the emotions of the characters. The book starts with two migrant workers, George and Lenny, moving out of their California farm to start new lives. In the book, a character by the name of Crooks presents his feelings of isolation by trying to befriend George and Lenny.

Loneliness can also be found in other areas and not just in Of Mice and Men. I often dealt with loneliness in grades three through eight. The fact that I didn’t try to make friends didn’t help at all either. Also, I was often outcast and bullied due to my weight. It wasn’t until my sophomore year of high school that I started to make friends that I knew liked me for who I was and not how I looked.

Although I socialized with them at school, when it came to being outside of school I kept to myself. It wasn’t until my junior year of high school that I started to outreach and travel to my friends’ houses. I started to discover that I may not be as lonely as I realize. My first night over my friend’s house I discovered what I had missed out on since second grade. Also that like everything else, loneliness comes to an end.

In conclusion, I did actually experience loneliness first hand and it was not a pleasant one. Often times I could associate my experiences of loneliness throughout life to that pertaining to Of Mice and Men. I could also associate my feeling to that of Crooks, who I previously had mentioned. The only difference between me and Crooks was he tried to make friends to where I just got lucky and found some. Either way, both predicaments were resolved.