FDR Knew Of Pearl Harbor Before It Happened | Teen Ink

FDR Knew Of Pearl Harbor Before It Happened

By Samantha.07 GOLD, Doylestown, Pennsylvania
Samantha.07 GOLD, Doylestown, Pennsylvania

Many find that a horror like Pearl Harbor would have never been done on purpose. However, if it wasn’t Pearl Harbor, it could have been something worse. Evidence shows that Franklin Roosevelt moved the generally isolationist American public to an interventionist position on entering World War II by failing to reveal foreknowledge of an attack on Pearl Harbor.

According to the “Fourteen Part Message”, the Japanese and American government had little agreement with their negotiations. Either government refused to yield each other’s principles. As said in the document, “The earnest hope of the Japanese Government to adjust Japanese-American relations and to preserve and promote the peace of the Pacific through cooperation with the American Government has finally been lost.” This shows that the United States knew their peace treaties with Japan would not work, thus, leaving FDR with the decision about entering the war completely.

The fact that the United State’s ships had been reduced greatly (due to relocation) the day of Pearl Harbor proves that this could not have been a coincidence. As shown in the diagram, Anchorage of Naval Fleet, Pearl Harbor, Hawaii, 7:55 A.M. on December 7, 1941, America was totally unprepared for Pearl Harbor—on purpose. Imagine having the same amount of ships at the Harbor as the few days before. If Pearl Harbor was a surprise attack, the casualties would have been ghastly increased. It is true to say America is known for keeping its soldiers alive. FDR would never have done what he did if it wasn’t fo the good of the country. Unlike “The Dorn Report, Part III-Page 16” on the investigation of Pearl Harbor, FDR was faithful in that he saved many soldiers while having knowledge of the attack.

Not only did FDR know of Pearl Harbor before it occurred, he knew a year ahead of time. In a letter from U.S. Secretary of War, Henry L. Stimson, to U.S. Secretary of Navy, Frank Knox, in January 24, 1941, it clearly states that America and Japan’s early conflicts and the predictions that would lead to a surprise attack. FDR had plenty of time to come up with a plan to get the already generally isolationist country to become completely involved in war by letting Japan attacking a small fleet. It is clear that his plan worked tremendously.

America would not have been as enthusiastic about entering World War II without experiencing something as frightening as Pearl Harbor. However, the amount of casualties could have been far worse if FDR did not know of the attack beforehand, and creating the last spark that sets the United States up for its battle in World War II.

This was a DBQ for my social studies class. I hope it opens up your minds!