Honey: There's A Flavor For Everyone | Teen Ink

Honey: There's A Flavor For Everyone

By WolfenWarrior PLATINUM, Some City, Virginia
WolfenWarrior PLATINUM, Some City, Virginia

Do it and don't look back.

A dark amber smear on a piece of bread. A few bright drops into a hot cup of tea. A spoonful of a sweet golden liquid that you put straight into your mouth. However you eat it, honey puts a sweet taste in your mouth and a smile on your face. From the dark amber, strong flavored Buckwheat, to the light and mild Sage, there are many varieties of honey. Because of the many possibilities for honey flavors, there can be a honey flavor for everyone. If one person does not like Orange Blossom from Florida, they may love Firewood from the North West U.S. Alas, many try one variety of honey and never try it again, for fear their taste buds will scream in protest as the sweet liquid draws near. But others, from the Blueberry fans in Michigan to the Avocado lovers in California, cheer and raise their spoons in honor of the delicious food. There are many different colors as well.

According to the USDA, the colors of honey are water white, extra white, whit, extra light amber, light amber, amber, and dark amber. Usually, dark colored honey has a strong flavor, while light colored honey is more mild. There are exceptions, though, such as the Basswood honey that has a light color and a strong, lingering flavor. Dark honey is best used for baking, as its strong flavor adds a sweet taste. Light colored honey is great for eating straight from the bottle, and on any food as a flavoring.

The flavor and color of honey varies depending on the flowers that the bees harvest nectar from. There are more than 300 of these varieties, each one made from different flowers or combinations of flowers. A variety of honey can even vary with different locations and climates.

There are so many varieties of honey, everyone should have a favorite! I raise my spoon to you in the hope that you can find your own favorite.

I started this for a contest, but it was supposed to be 750 words, and there was NO way I could have done that with the topic. Funny thing is, I hate honey! :)