The Hundred Years of War | Teen Ink

The Hundred Years of War

By Post-Mann BRONZE, Arden, North Carolina
Post-Mann BRONZE, Arden, North Carolina

The historical entanglement between Britain and France has lasted for centuries, and the competition from sports to national cultural heritage has never stopped.(rival stop at WWI) The source of these centuries-long rivals originated in the Hundred Years' War in 1337 (The Hundred Years' War).  The complex political relationship between France and England can be traced back to as early as the 11th century to William the Conqueror, who was the first sovereign ruler of England to hold fiefs on the Continent as a vassal of the French king. (Duke of Normandy and the king of English)As the power of the British rulers increased, the French kings began to suppress the British, and the competition between the two countries finally ended with the Treaty of Paris between Henry III of England and Louis IX of France, which was finally ratified in December 1259.

Decades after the signing of the Treaty of Paris, friction between Britain and France over maritime trade and territorial claims continued unabated. The seemingly harmonious atmosphere quickly ended in 1328. European countries often maintained alliances by marriage. With the death of King Charles IV of France on February 1, 1328, the legal succession of King Edward III of England began to compete with the French princes. To prevent Edward III from becoming the co-lord of the two countries, the noble council chose to appoint the Count of Valois as king, namely Philip VI.

At this point, the political struggle among the imperial aristocracy had ended. The rise of Philip VI aroused strong dissatisfaction with Edward III. The conflict between the two countries finally broke out over the ownership of Guyenne (Guyenne, where France at the time bordered claim to Britain). On May 24, 1337, Philip VI announced the recovery of Guyenne, which had initially belonged to England; in October, Edward III declared that the Kingdom of France belonged to him and formally challenged his opponent. 

Transition in politics:

The waging war depleted much of the national wealth for both England and France. The 116 years(1337-1453) of conflict resulted in shifting political landscape for both sides. English kings struggled to garner wealth for war, since local barons sought to retain wealth in their own hands and refused to offer funds. France was the direct opposite: the monarchy grew in power while local families yielded their capital.

Despite which class grew in power, it was ultimately common citizens who had to cover the expenses of warfare. Monarchs imposed ridiculous taxes on the public that raised discontent around the country; Edward the III of England called for 27 taxes during his 50 years of reign. On the other side of the channel, the French nobles fought each other for succession to the throne, and their troops burnt down farmers’ crops and properties. Such instances caused many rebellions such as the Peasants’ Revolt of 1383, adding a further hint of instability towards the situation. Monarchs, nobles, and reformists all sought for opportunities to hold power, but their efforts only shook the countries further.

Consolidation of nationalism:

Despite rebellions intermittently occurring during the war, the conflict bolstered the sense of nationalism on both sides. People began to view monarchs as the actual leader of the country, rather than just feudal lords who collect taxes. Works to praise the armies’ efforts were created on both sides, imploring commoners to find the essence of pride and justice in fighting the war. Nationalism did not stop just yet; it was later interwoven into religion and became a part of people’s cultural identity. In a setting where the church captivated most if not all the Europeans, well-written war speeches were undoubtedly very persuasive. To some extent, people began to believe that God has directed them to fight this war to preserve their country.

Nationalism did not fade away after England’s loss, rather, it guided the nation to a different worldly outlook and started a self-cultural-building process. In France, however, nationalism grew stronger as monarchs sought to expand in Europe. This country became extremely rich and powerful due to its victory, resulting in a firmer nationalism belief.

Birth of war heroes:

Heroism during the Hundred Years' War, a protracted conflict between England and France, bore witness to extraordinary individuals whose valor and sacrifice shaped the course of history. One iconic figure was Joan of Arc, a humble French peasant girl who, driven by divine visions, led French forces to pivotal victories. Her audacity in facing the English and her unwavering faith exemplified heroism, ultimately turning the tide of the war. The chivalric code also played a significant role, as knights from both sides demonstrated gallantry and loyalty in the heat of battle, earning renown through acts of daring bravery.

However, heroism wasn't confined to the elite. Common foot soldiers displayed remarkable courage amidst the chaos and brutality of medieval warfare. They endured grueling campaigns, harsh conditions, and the constant threat of death with stoicism. Their steadfast commitment to their respective causes contributed to the war's longevity. The Hundred Years' War encapsulated a turbulent era where heroism emerged from the crucible of conflict. It was a period when ordinary people and legendary figures alike defied daunting odds, leaving an indelible mark on history. Their deeds, chronicled through the annals of time, continue to inspire and serve as a testament to the enduring spirit of heroism in the face of adversity.

Weapon and military innovations:

The conflict brought about many significant changes in the way nations waged war and the weapons they used. Improvements in infantry training and equipment were proved crucial. Archers, in particular, were trained early to use longbows, and their volleys had devastating effects throughout the campaign. In addition to the structural changes in the army, the innovation of the weapons themselves also determines the direction of the war. During the Hundred Years' War, new types of plate armor were made of solid steel plates. This directly improves the ability to resist blows and changes the direction of the attack's point by tilting the curved arc surface.

Additionally, as the gunpowder Marco Polo brought back from China was developed extensively, Loschute artillery, also known as hand cannons, appeared on the battlefield. Similar changes occurred in military recruitment. For the long campaign in France, the British formed a professional army through contracts between the Guards and the Crown. Both sides sought the support of allies. Soldiers from all over Europe joined the army. During intermittent periods of peace, British and French soldiers also chose to join large companies of mercenaries and were willing to fight for anyone for money.

Diseases:  

The Black Death (1346-1353 AD) broke out during a violent phase in European history, particularly during the Hundred Years' War. The plague was so destructive that these conflicts were briefly interrupted due to the high death toll. During the Hundred Years' War, the epidemic reached France in 1347 AD and struck England in the summer of 1348 AD. The pathogen reached the British Isles through the port of Melcombe Regis in Dorset before hitting Bristol and London in the autumn. Like other countries, the Black Death (1346-1353 AD) reached Britain via land and sea trade routes linking Asia and Europe. After that, the disease spread rapidly among the military population.

The sick French soldiers sent the virus into the bodies of British soldiers through bows, arrows, swords, and other sharp blades during the battle. These virus-carrying soldiers also spread the virus to civilians when they collected food from the rear. Then, these viruses continued to wreak havoc along the front lines. In AD 1450, a group of civilian rebels led by Jack Cade described: "The soldiers brought disease, carried away food, livestock, and produce, leaving behind nothing but despair."

Outcome:

After a whole century of relentless warfare, the world emerged profoundly altered. Shifting borders and fallen empires reshaped the geopolitical landscape, while technological leaps catapulted societies into a new era. While the few nobles grappled for power in France, England was near bankruptcy. The scars of environmental degradation also served as a stark reminder of the toll exacted by prolonged conflict. Cultures intermingled, creating a global tapestry of shared traditions. In the aftermath, a collective yearning for stability led to the establishment of international governance structures and a renewed commitment to diplomatic solutions. Yet, the cultural trauma endured, finding expression in art and literature as humanity grappled with the profound impact of centuries of war, leaving an indelible mark on the collective human experience.

My friend Jacky and I co-wrote this article. We are very interested in the evolution of European history and politics, so we decided to write our understanding and reflections on European history into articles. If anyone shares our interests, please do get in touch with us. We are happy to discuss this with others.