THE HELP OF TOY IN TREATING TRAUMA | Teen Ink

THE HELP OF TOY IN TREATING TRAUMA

By mai_vuong BRONZE, Ho Chi Minh City, Other
mai_vuong BRONZE, Ho Chi Minh City, Other

Why is toys?

There are several reasons why we often prefer old teddy bears over new toys, or why we choose a particular toy over others. During our upbringing, it seems natural for children to have preferences for certain toys. However, there is a strong scientific connection between a child's toy preference and the child itself.

According to Dr. Brian Sutton Smith of the University of Pennsylvania, one of the leading researchers in this field, he believes that children's attachment to teddy bears or dolls is formed due to "social changes." In the modern world, many families have adopted the practice of having children sleep separately from an early age. This model has helped children develop a sense of safety and familiarity with the chosen "toy" as a substitute for the protection of their parents.

Moreover, not only in sleeping, but a chosen toy also plays a significant role in shaping a child's interests and development. In some cases, like Katherine Earl's, she began collecting her stuffed dinosaur toys at a young age. Spending time and affection with this type of toy during her childhood has fueled her passion for her career: animal research.

Toys in treatment

PTSD stands for Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder. It is a mental health condition that can develop after experiencing or witnessing a traumatic event such as combat, a natural disaster, a serious accident, or a physical or sexual assault. Symptoms of PTSD can include intrusive memories, flashbacks, nightmares, severe anxiety, and uncontrollable thoughts about the traumatic event.

In children aged 3 to 12, toy therapy is often used to treat PTSD. Through this approach, children use toys, create their own play rules, and express thoughts and emotions that may be difficult to articulate verbally. This helps adults gain a better understanding of the child's inner world and provide optimal support. Additionally, interacting with and expressing themselves abstractly with toys helps children gradually separate themselves from the emotions or memories that trigger PTSD.

In a study conducted by Professor Avi Sadeh from Tel Aviv University, 14,000 children in the Gaza Strip, where rocket conflicts from Hamas occur, were provided with stuffed toy dogs (called Hibuki) to investigate whether these toys helped children overcome fear. The results showed that after 3 weeks, children who had the strongest connection with Hibuki demonstrated reduced levels of stress. Two weeks later, 71% of the children who received Hibuki had experienced severe stress reactions.

Preferences

theaustralianoutbackbabyprojectinc.weebly.com/uploads/1/9/7/4/19741539/the_benefits_of_trauma_toys.pdf

theirworld.org/news/simple-toy-that-helps-children-in-drc-to-recover-from-trauma-of-war/

youtube.com/watch?v=SCFcfHEDs4Mtheaustralianoutbackbabyprojectinc.weebly.com/uploads/1/9/7/4/19741539/the_benefits_of_trauma_toys.pdf