Does it make sense to hate someone for his or her opinions? | Teen Ink

Does it make sense to hate someone for his or her opinions?

Almost every single person has experienced not being in favor of, or disagreeing with someone else’s opinion throughout their lives before, but hating the person for their own opinion does not end up making anything better or solving the problem they had with the opinion in the beginning. So, at the end of the day, it does not make sense to hate someone for his or her opinion and nothing will benefit from it either. Every person has their own personal and unique experiences that they lived with, so no one can truly understand and know what it is to live like them. Also, it is wrong and unfair to hate a person that we do not have full, complete information on. This is the same as hating on a person for not having complete and accurate knowledge on a certain topic, which is clearly unreasonable. Lastly, hatred is usually a form of projection of a person’s own insecurities, so it would be a wiser, better decision for them to focus on their own insecurities rather than to criticize or judge another person for their opinion.

To start off, everyone has their own unique experiences. Everyone has heard adults saying to respect each other’s opinions and to be thoughtful towards people that say or think things differently from you. There are definite reasons why people say this phrase all the time. Not everyone lives the same lives as each other, so clearly some people will have different thoughts from others. An article that provides reasons to why people have different opinions, 7 Reasons It's Okay to Have Different Opinions ..., states that ”You're just expressing the viewpoint that works for your lifestyle and belief system – and if you enjoy the ability to do that, remember to extend the same courtesy to the people around you.” This quote establishes the fact that everyone’s opinions depend on their own perspectives and experiences in their lives, and knowing that no one lives the same exact life, this means that not everyone will have the same opinion as you. The Art of Respecting Others' Opinions - Ken Chapman & Associates explains that, “It simply requires us to recognize that others are entitled to look at the world differently and that when they share their views with us, they can expect a fair hearing.” This is another quote from a different writing that also states that people look at the world differently and so no one is going to have the exact same opinion on everything. So going back to the topic, you should never dislike someone just for having an opinion that is not like yours because primarily, you do not live the same lifestyle as them and therefore cannot judge them for that. 

Adding on, not everyone has the same knowledge. To emphasize, you do not have complete knowledge on a person, so it would be like not having complete facts on a topic. One example of this scenario would be if someone thought that Christopher Columbus was the one that discovered North America. Most people learn from textbooks that this is true. However, you know that it is proven that Christopher Columbus was not the one that discovered North America. You cannot simply hate the other person for something they didn’t learn. If they did not know something that you knew, instead of despising them, teaching them what is correct would be a wiser and efficient way to solve the difference in opinions. Also, when not knowing someone, and they express an opinion that you haven’t thought about, it could actually make you see the opinion that you originally believed in, in a new perspective. 7 Reasons It's Okay to Have Different Opinions ... supported by saying, “ If you take the time to listen to someone else's opinion, even if you don't agree with it at first, it can ultimately introduce you to a new point of view. You may even see things from a new perspective.” Everyone does not have complete knowledge on anyone, so hearing an opinion from someone could change your thoughts too, instead of hating someone for not having the same views as you.

Finally, hatred is a projection of your own insecurities. Hating someone for what they think could possibly mean it is because they are insecure of themselves. To further explain, Why People Hate: The Science Behind Why We Love to Hate suggests that, “Often, they’ll compare themselves to other people and when they come to the conclusion that the other person may be better than them or possesses traits that they don’t want to acknowledge that they also share, people may speak out against that person to project their anxiety onto them.” Since, the person already hates them enough, they will continue to hate on them by criticizing how they think or act. Their opinions could seem so unreasonable to the person who is hating them. Rather than hating on everything a person with likable qualities, being appreciative would be a better alternative. Just because you are envious of a person and even end up disagreeing with everything they say or do, does not mean you should hate them, for they are who they are and nothing results from hating them.

To conclude, hating someone for their own opinion is extremely ignorant. Everyone has their own personal experiences that create what they believe, no one has full knowledge on anyone, and at the end of the day, hating someone for what they think is a projection of your own insecurities and it does not appear good on you. It is not reasonable to hate someone for their opinions because if it were reasonable, it would only lead to more hate and negativity. If you just respect their opinion, it would be much more peaceful. It would also be worse because it would prevent you from knowing the truth. This means that you never know every person’s exact lifestyle, but hating on them without knowing what their personal experiences are, would result in not being able to know the reality of things. Ultimately, you cannot improve from your own insecurities. You will not become better by hating someone, it will leave you more distressed and full of hate. Not hating someone for what they believe would benefit you because there would not be hate between people and there would be a lot more positivity and respect. After all, you would even learn the truth behind things that you would not have learned if you choose to hate, and you could actually improve on your own insecurities. Hating someone for their opinions will always result negatively so there is no actual benefit for you. 

I have interest in psychology and looking deeper into the way people think and act which is why I wrote this piece.