Drugs and Substance Abuse | Teen Ink

Drugs and Substance Abuse

By krishnak BRONZE, Brampton, Ontario
krishnak BRONZE, Brampton, Ontario

The first issue I have chosen is the abuse of steroids and the science behind it. Steroids have always seemed to be the cheat sheet, the easy way to gain muscle mass. Although it obviously is prohibited by most if not all major sporting leagues, it still remains a prominent issue in the medical world when analyzing the bitter side effects steroids can have on the body. The overall steroid can be divided into different compounds, each with its own unique structure while completing the main goal to bind with hormone receptors in the human body. By binding with these receptors found in the cells of muscle tissue, they signal muscle cells to make more protein. This begins the initial stage of the process as the receptors activate genes on the cell's chromosomes that produce muscle tissue proteins, triggering an increase in protein synthesis. By increasing protein production and inhibiting the breakdown of proteins in muscle cells after workouts, anabolic steroids significantly increase the mass of an athlete's muscle tissue. Even with such positives, steroids can have harmful side effects on both men and females towards reproductive parts, and organ failures. Appearance may be an important factor when judging an individual but most people forget the blood, sweat, and tears that go into being the best and find easier routes such as the consumption of steroids. 

The second issue I have chosen is the use of cannabis in teens. Cannabis, also known as Marijuana, comes from a plant and while deemed natural and healthy, its side effects are sometimes worse than that of other harmful drugs we see in the world. Especially with teens, an addiction at a young age only increases the urge and keeps them dependent on the drug for years to come. While marijuana can be prescribed for medical purposes, teens in most cases would be using it due to peer pressure and demonstrating to friends how they’re smoking to gain popularity and such. The mental capacity of an individual who regularly smokes cannabis drastically reduces, and their ability to think critically diminishes. The immune systems and other parts of the body including the brain are still in development. By smoking, the development stages of these essential components of the body can be heavily impacted reducing the chances of reaching its full capacity. Addiction to marijuana is possible and it's even more likely if you begin to use the drug prior to age 18. While it has become legalized in Canada, teens seem to perceive this in a different way thinking it’s medicine so it must be safe to ingest. Even if the illegal dealings of cannabis will reduce with the legalization, teens and other individuals who are vulnerable to the drug will soon begin to consume it without knowing its harmful side effects.