Is our world fake? | Teen Ink

Is our world fake?

By hd717 BRONZE, Los Angeles, California
hd717 BRONZE, Los Angeles, California

"What if our world is fake"? I've always wondered about this question since I was really small, a question that I think most people have at least once wondered about. With now television, VR has become more and more popular, we can't help but wonder what if we are actually the people in this fake world?

How can we prove that we are not fake? I struggled with this question a lot and never got an answer because all these unknowns in the world only give me more questions, making me not know where to start.

About a year ago, I asked my brother, who majored in philosophy, about this question and got a reply saying that untrue must exist with the truth, which is very common knowledge but a mind blow for me a year ago. Though did I solve the problem? No.

Not until five months ago, when I was sitting on the bench having lunch with a ladybug flying into my lunchbox, I tried to define whether it was a good or bad ladybug by how many black spots it had on its back, though it quickly moved away, so I wasn't able to finish counting. Well, even if I did finish counting, I won't remember the different numbers of black spots of good and bad ladybugs. But I thought of something else, which is proof of why a model of a house is not fake.

What does it mean when saying something is fake?

A model of a house is usually called a fake house, but it is a true model of a house. Because a model of a house seems not original as we see it, we tend to connect it back to a house that we usually see and think the model of a house looks like a house but was not a house, so it is fake. But another question is, why don't we think that a house is a fake model of a house? Is it because what comes first is usually seen as true? Or should I say what we have been interacting the most with, and the image that stayed in our mind the longest was usually processed as original and "true"?

That's one definition of fake when an object is not another object. Another definition of fake, for example, "a unicorn," is fake simply because it's something that doesn't exist.

I don't know why bugs and flies like to get into my lunchbox, though it's fun locking one inside. What if that fly I locked is pregnant? Will her baby believe her story about the world outside the lunchbox? No, before her babies are born, she'll probably die first for some random reason. People who think that the world is untrue mean that they believe there is an unknown and original image of the world that they are seeing now. They had created another self who had another fixed vision making their world "fake," like the model of a house. But also like the relationship between the model of a house and a house, if our world is fake with another world, then it is still a true world itself.

The model of a house is a true model of a house, But not a true house or a true tree or a true bird.

So, can I say that everything that exists is true?

"A model of a house is not a true house" this sentence contains two meanings.

1. the model of a house is a true model of a house
2. The model of the house is not a true house

But something pure untrue, for example, a unicorn, is not true and can be put as a unicorn does not exist.

"What if our world is fake?"

I found my emotion similar to the emotion of the fly. From worrying thinking, it's not getting any food to happiness when I saw my lunchbox to depressing when finding itself being locked up.

The only change for me about this question is that first, I knew there were no what-ifs because our world is not fake. Our world is true as long as it exists. But then I realized all I did was just change the question from "what if our world is fake" into "what if there is another world in this universe, unknown and powerful?".

Well, I did get myself out of the fear of "fakeness ." But like the baby fly born in my lunchbox, I may not ever know what is outside the lunch box or whether all these stories and predictions are true or not.

Some sudden and random realization about the definition of fake and real