Suicide; Greek Mythology’s Snake in the Grass | Teen Ink

Suicide; Greek Mythology’s Snake in the Grass

By ArtThouLizardWizard GOLD, Deerfield, New Hampshire
ArtThouLizardWizard GOLD, Deerfield, New Hampshire

"We accept the love we think we deserve."-The Perks of Being a Wallflower

Suicide is the second leading killer of young adults in modern times, but it is not just a modern trend or pattern. In the twisted world in which people of all kinds are faced with no other choice but to take their own life, it is vital to note the context in which suicide first started to show up throughout history. In Edith Hamilton’s Greek Mythology, in the crazy world in which these myths take place, characters such as Hercules struggle with suicidal thoughts and actions. He was not the only person who struggled with this issue. Suicide followed everyone in Greek mythology; most significantly, Hercules, Theseus, and Thisbe all fell into or were affected by suicide’s deadly claws.

Hercules notably jumps from extreme to extreme, all while abusing substances such as alcohol. For example, he gets drunk and delirious while staying at his friend Admetus’ house on the same day that Admetus’ wife had died. His careless and reckless actions are all too common in those who suffer from dangerous behaviors that are typical in suicide victims. While in his case his actual attempt was derived from Hera’s spell of madness, which in turn led him to kill his wife and children, Hercules falls into a great depression and is on the verge of suicide. Following his spiral into madness, Hercules tries to kill himself for the first time. Hamilton notes that “...before he could rush out and kill himself, even as he started to do so, his desperate purpose was changed and his life was spared,” (Hamilton 229). While Hercules never went through with his plan, it is evident that this attempt still affects his life. Lucky enough to have Theseus, Hercules was able to have a friend to trust. In his insanity, everyone else abandoned him. Theseus continued to stand him throughout the entirety of his appearances in Greek mythology. While suicide is heavily stigmatized and has the means to scare off typically loyal companions, Hercules can get through his daily life and continue. He continues to fulfill himself with his current life despite having several ups and downs (including his twelve brought on tasks to redeem himself).  Soon his previous suicidal patterns return, and Hercules finds himself in trouble. Haunted by Deianeira’s robe, Hercules knew he could not go on any longer. He acknowledged that “...death would not come to him, he could go to death” (243). Hypothetically, Hercules’ actions were not those of suicide and were simply in favor of eliminating his pain; due to his previous actions and behaviors, it is clear that this is not the case. Weighed down by all of his guilts and woes, Hercules has no other option but to go to his group of loyal disciples and ask them to aid him in suicide. Afterward, the young man ascends to Olympia and can live in peace without the burdens of his life on Earth. Hercules is a marvelous example of suicide’s prevalence in Greek mythology by the way he interacts with the world, but Theseus is also a strong example of this. 

Theseus is a terrific example of how one does not directly have to be suicidal to be affected by suicide. Throughout his adventures, Theseus becomes good friends with Hercules. On a quest to kidnap Persephone, Theseus finds himself trapped in the Underworld. Saved by Hercules, the two men establish a close bond. This established relationship later comes into play after Hercules is driven into madness by Hera and slaughters his family. Theseus is the only person willing to stand by his friend. Hamilton alludes to this by saying, “When Hercules in his madness killed his wife and children, and upon his return to sanity determined to kill himself, Theseus alone stood by him” (217). A feeling of lonesomeness and social deprivation typically comes along with suicidal thoughts. By being a strong and caring friend, Theseus helps Hercules feel less alone in his adventures through life. Later on, Theseus is affected by suicide again. When his wife Phaedra falls in love with his son Hippolytus, she becomes overwhelmed with suicidal thoughts to the point where she kills herself upon the rejection of Hippolytus. Theseus plunges into a deep sadness after coming back to find his wife had died. She had set-up a tragic fate for Hippolytus. When Phaedra sets the blame on him for her demise, Theseus orders his son to death in anguish. After discovering that Phaedra was the one who made romantic advances, Theseus is never the same. Phaedra’s plans unfold and, “...in her anguish, desperate, seeking no help for her anywhere, resolved to die and let no one know why” (220). This simple suicide leads to a trail of destruction that enables the central theme of suicide to become well-known to all readers. Theseus’ several encounters with suicide set the scene for this highly significant theme in which his life is uprooted and torn apart; on the other hand, there is still more to be uncovered with the tragic romance of Thisbe and Pyramus. 

Thisbe and Pyramus come from opposing households that threaten to wipe out their love affair. Just like Romeo and Juliet, the dedicated couple fights back and plans to run away together. On the way, Thisbe encounters a menacing lioness. Her cloak falls off, and Pyramus finds it on his way to their meeting spot.  Overcome with grief, Pyramus concludes that the love of his life has died at the paws of the lioness. Pyramus feels as if he has no other option but to take his own life, so he “...drew his sword and plunged it into his side. The blood spurted up and over the berries and dyed them a dark red” (137). The suicide of Pyramus sets of a chain reaction of events that effects the rest of the world. For example, his love Thisbe finds his body and has the same initial response as he did when he came across the cloak. Feeling the same hopelessness, “She plunged into her heart the sword that was still wet with her life’s blood” (137-8). The tale does not end there. The couple’s parents were distraught over the death of their children. The Gods decided to take pity on the long-lasting feud by honoring the star-crossed lovers with mulberries. The fruits have been permanently turned into a deep red just like they did on the night of their demise. Like the mulberries that have lived on forever, suicide is a never-ending theme. Suicide follows everyone in Greek mythology, including couples, proving itself to be an impact force in the myths. 

Suicide consumes everybody in Greek mythology who gets in its way; most significantly, Hercules, Theseus, and Thisbe are all affected by its melody. Why is this important? Why should this cause of death in Greek mythology be considered any more remarkable than topics such as Zeus’ outstanding God complex? In a world where people find themselves fighting undercover battles that remain unnoticed by the unsuspecting, it is necessary to take into consideration what others are going through. It is easy to zip everything up and paste a plastered picture of happiness over the negativity. By analyzing how themes such as suicide come into play in some of the most influential literature, it is easier to apply these factors to real-life situations. Perhaps Theseus’ portrayal of friendship will remind someone to check in on one of their friends, or Hercules’ inspirational rise to the top will remind a struggling student that there is always hope left. Help is just a call away. 1-800-273-8255.