Why teenagers should not be given a large amount of homework | Teen Ink

Why teenagers should not be given a large amount of homework

By edonmo13 SILVER, Tirana, Other
edonmo13 SILVER, Tirana, Other

Many students come home tired and disappointed feeling the need to rest, although they cannot because so much work is given as homework, adding extra stress to young teenagers. A study conducted by Challenge Success from 2018 to 2020 concluded that on average, high schoolers did about 2.7 hours of homework per weeknight. As a high school student myself, many classmates complain to each other about the amount of homework they have per night, as they want to rest or spend time with their friends or family. Throughout this essay, I will evaluate how homework causes harm to teens by it affecting their health and describing how it affects their social life and more. 
Homework can affect both students’ physical and mental health. According to a study by Stanford University, 56 percent of students considered homework a primary source of stress. Too much homework can result in lack of sleep, headaches, exhaustion and weight loss. This relates to the fact that homework can make someone more emotional, as I am speaking from firsthand experience. Excessive homework can also result in poor eating habits, with families choosing fast food as a faster alternative.  
Though, an excessive amount of homework can also lead to effects on a teen's social life. As a lot of parents say, our teenage years are our best years, so we should go out and have fun. Although, schoolwork does not allow us to enjoy them. Lots of teenagers also want to go out and participate in extracurricular activities to refresh their bodies. Older teens might also start participating in part time jobs to get their own income, but by not being able to achieve these goals, teens become more isolated and without a support system. 
Even though giving lots of homework has some bad aspects, there are some great benefits to it. Homework helps teachers determine how well the lessons are being understood by their students. It makes students practice the materials better to do better for some tests. It also tests you on how much you can do independently and prepare you for challenges you need to complete by yourself in the future, allowing your parents to see how much you have learned in school. Working outside of school may also show your strengths and how organized you can be by completing a lot of work in a short amount of time. Finally, completing a lot of homework makes you feel accomplished or proud of yourself, which many students can agree, is a great feeling.  
In conclusion, giving a large amount of homework to students creates lots of different problems and makes them become stressed and anxious. Even though lots of benefits are created by completing a large amount of homework, school systems and teachers need to be more aware of the problems teens are facing these days and help them have a more balanced life. Practicing courses outside of school is so helpful, but let us be honest, no one wants to sit in their room all week feeling tired and weak just to know they have a pile of work they need to complete.