Beowulf: The Sun among the Stars of Medieval Literature | Teen Ink

Beowulf: The Sun among the Stars of Medieval Literature

By corn-on-a-cob GOLD, Racine, Wisconsin
corn-on-a-cob GOLD, Racine, Wisconsin

“And now here is my secret, a very simple secret: It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.”

Beowulf, the defender of the innocent, and bringer of light and truth is like the sun who is honored and valued not only for his courage and bravery but also for his outstanding selflessness and righteousness. Beowulf brings light to people's lives, as the sun brings light to ours. When Beowulf brings joy to people’s lives and saves the Danes from the evil, the sun keeps us warm and saves us from the cold. Beowulf is the Sun because he saves, protects, and brings light to everyone around him. In the Super Poem Beowulf, we hear the accounts of Beowulf’s journeys, battles and rulings. Beowulf is a brave, just, strong, courageous and selfless warrior and eventually king whose light shines brighter than all, like the sun shining among the stars ; equal but more powerful.

While Beowulf is the sun of Medieval Literature, Grendel is like a black hole, who sucks in light and joy. Unlike Grendel, who is part of Clain’s Clan, Beowulf is a Christian who believes and worships God. As seen in Beowulf and Grendel’s fight, Grendel chooses to flee in a time of struggle, but Beowulf sticks through, relying on not just his physical strength but also his mental strength. When Grendel was busy killing people in the night, Beowulf was saving innocent lives and villages. Additionally, Beowulf brought hope to the people in a time of great struggle and darkness. Grendel, on the other hand, brought fear and torment to people’s lives.

After Beowulf rose to the throne and sat in his lonely hall, the thoughts he would be having would be similar to this: “ Grendel is dead, and all the people are fed. Goodness and love is for all and here I am lonely in my hall. My life was one of many struggles, and yet here I am still with all of my knuckles. Is danger brewing? Are the people safe? I want to preserve my family’s good name! But I know that I will soon grow old and one day a better warrior will take the throne. Lord, let him be bright, let him be true, and Lord let him try to be as good as you.”

In modern fairytales, comics, and even ancient superpoems, the good always triumphs over evil, the virtuous always defeats the sinful. In Beowulf and Grendel’s battle, Beowulf, courageous, loyal and  possessor of good leadership, defeats Grendel, the cowardly, selfish, and wicked. Beowulf’s courage can sometimes be mistaken for strength or power. One example of Beowulf's strength is a guard commenting on his commanding presence. One does not have to be a great warrior or a superhero to have these qualities. To be courageous, you do not have to fight a big battle you just have to have moral strength to overcome things that you have never done before. To be loyal, you do not have to be in a near-death situation, you can show loyalty to God, your parents, and yourself everyday by making the right decisions.  Everyone can and should be virtuous, to live a better life, and to make a better future. 

The accounts of Beowulf, the Sun of literature's journeys, battles, and life demonstrates once again that the good, righteous, joyful, and true always live better, happier, and always win. While it is amazing to slay a dragon or wear shining armor, you do not have to put your life on the line to be good, “Behaviour that's admired is the path to power among people everywhere.” (Heaney) Anybody can be good, anybody can make a difference, and anybody can be the sun in someone else's life, you just have to try, and value your mental strength over any physical strength. Even if you try hard to be good, and more bad things come into your life, there is always good at the end of the road. There is always hope at the end of the tunnel. There is always a star waiting in everybody to be the sun of someone’s life.

Works Cited

Heaney, Seamus, Beowulf, (New York, 2000), W.W. Norton & Company

The medeival times are categorized as bieng dark and depressing, however one text, Beowulf, brings the light into the dark days.