Introduction to PTSD | Teen Ink

Introduction to PTSD

By norascs BRONZE, Alameda, California
norascs BRONZE, Alameda, California

Post Traumatic Stress Order or PTSD is a psychological condition that happens when a traumatic event happens to someone during a period in their life, and over 8% of the U.S population has PTSD. To understand the causes, symptoms, treatment, etc. for PTSD, we first have to understand its origin and why it's called PTSD. Although the name wasn't officially coined until 1980 in the third edition of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-all) published by the American Psychiatric Association, there have been various examples throughout history.  For instance, in the Epic of Gilgamesh, the first living significant piece in the literature (dating back to 2100 B.C.), the central character in Gilgamesh experienced the death of his best friend, Enkidu. Gilgamesh is then tormented by the pain of Enkidu's death, having frequent and disturbing recollections and hallucinations about the incident. Learning and understanding what PTSD is will further develop our knowledge as human beings as to why and how we get PTSD as it affects so many globally.

The symptoms of PTSD, according to the Mayo Clinic, include flashbacks, emotional detachment, agitation, hostility, self-destructive behavior, and social isolation. However, flashbacks are one of the more common symptoms when it comes to PTSD, but what is a flashback? Flashbacks are a "vivid experience" where you remember a few parts of a horrible mishap or feel as though it is going on at this moment. This can some of the time resemble viewing a video of what occurred, however, flashbacks don't really include seeing pictures, or remembering occasions from beginning to end. An example of a flashback that correlates with PTSD could be during the Vietnam War were over 30% of men and 27% of women had PTSD sooner or later in their life following Vietnam. These discoveries acquired roughly 10 years after the finish of the Vietnam War, found that for some veterans, their PTSD had gotten a ceaseless (that is, tenacious and dependable) condition. (Tull, Matthew. "How Vietnam War Veterans With PTSD Can Get Help." Verywell Mind, Verywell Mind, 24 Mar. 2020) Behavior in PTSD like the ones I've mentioned (agitation, irritability, hostility, etc.) are shown as a way of reactivity in defense or as a way to hide and cope.

This piece I've written gives a brief introduction to what PTSD is and the effects.