Current History | Teen Ink

Current History

By kgholland BRONZE, Yukon, Oklahoma
kgholland BRONZE, Yukon, Oklahoma

AP language 

24 February 2021

If we could bundle up a few key-moments in current history into a nice box with a bow on top, it would be regifted. America makes up 4% of the Earth's population but contributes an astonishing 25% of the carbon dioxide pollution from fossil fuels. (11 Facts about Global Warming | DoSomething.org | Volunteer for Social Change) “One in six U.S. youth aged 6-17 experience a mental health disorder each year.” (Solomon-Maynard) One political party is hosting riots in the cities, another raiding through the capital. Securing these moments for documented history and might regret some decisions when we look back. A constantly changing world, and daily news reports point towards not for the better; oceans are heating up along with politics, and teen's isolation may protect them from covid but not a mental illness.

Nelly would agree, it is getting “Hot in Herre.” “Since 1906, the global average surface temperature has increased by more than 1.6 degrees Fahrenheit (0.9 degrees Celsius)—even more in sensitive polar regions.” (National Geographic) It would be easy to say this is the future’s problem, unfortunately, we are currently going through the impacts of climate change; not only rising temperatures but also shifts in weather patterns, rising seas, suffrage to wildlife and habitats. All of these cosmic changes are happening before our eyes. Consequently, the majority of our society will not begin to change until this issue is too far gone. For example, surging temperatures affect the northern hemisphere, specifically  icebergs melting quicker, causing sea levels to rise and ocean temperatures to increase to levels our lifetimes have never seen. A casualties of the temperature change to the oceans and coral reefs. Once colorful and vibrant ocean floors are becoming white and brittle.(Lecoeur) Larger marine life survives off of the scarce fish that are slowly disappearing without the reef homes to survive in. Humans are a form of the biggest fish, and without the start of the food chain that is the coral reef, the rest can not continue. Current track of climate alterations will be cosmic if we continue to go without regulating pollution. Destroying the atmosphere that defends us and our marine-life, planetary, and even ourselves from the powerful radiation from the sun. This alleged “hoax” to some will grow to become all too real if we do not gain control over our climate now. 

Gaining maturity and education, many teens were well aware that our High School experience would be more or less like Disney’s musical, unaware of its similarity to Sleeping Beauty. Newfound freedom among teenagers of driving, independence, and soon adulthood lurking around the corner has been spent not exercising this new curiosity but instead bound inside our four walls. “Quite understandably, concern about rising levels of anxiety and depression in youth prompts additional worries about suicide, the second leading cause of death in adolescents and young adults.”(Rettew) How are teenagers protected when the CDC states you are at an increased risk of severe illness being an adult and or having underlying health conditions? (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention) Taking away experiences, memories, and friendships we will never get back. Not to mention, an underwhelming education spent behind screens. Many students lack the motivation to do their busy work given by teachers through zoom calls. Although it is the education system that has failed schools, students are the ones receiving Fs.

One party of politics caused the streets to burn with posters that read BLM in bold. Liberals point-of-view argue they require these extreme actions to implant justice when there are unfortunate pockets of prejudice throughout America come into the spotlight that is shined by the media. Although, it seems to go unnoticed by the handfuls of privilege among their rank and file. What sparked this movement was a shameful act by the police officer that held their knee against George Floyd's neck for eight minutes and forty-six seconds. (Hill) How this continued into a movement against the suppression and systematic racism of black Americans escapes my fathom of common sense. Considerable amounts of privilege surrounding being African American in the United States. For example, Black History Month, a category revolving around black culture on main-stream entertainment sites such as Netflix, Hulu, and Youtube. UberEats has a genre for black-owned restaurants, diversity quotas companies pressed to meet, and scholarships and opportunities revolving around colleges you can only get for being African American.(Blake) What purpose did the over $1 billion cost for damages and insurance claims to end systematic prejudice in America when our judicial system has zero laws only applied to a single ethnicity? (Kingson) A man is arrested, pinned down, or even tragically killed and happens to be black is commonly not signs of discrimination. Instead, maybe signs of police officers upholding the law and their duty to protect and serve. 

If only it was as simple as turning heads to see a refreshing change to progressive acts from the right, but that could only happen with closed eyes. Instead, they recently boycotted against our newly elected 46th President Joe Biden skipping right over the peaceful options and on to raiding the capital. “With reports by police officials and federal prosecutors indicating that about 140 officers were injured." (Jackman) The same political point of view that commonly stands for blue lives matter no longer did when they stood between conservatives and Washington political figures. “The House and Senate had convened in a joint session that afternoon to confirm Joe Biden’s Electoral College victory when rioters stormed the building in an attempt to overthrow the proceedings. Terrified lawmakers forced to run for their lives as rioters took over the centuries-old building.” (Lee) Even with failed efforts, we lost so much more than the cost in damages; Brian Sicknick age 42, Ashli Babbitt age 35, Benjamin Phillips age 50, Kevin Greeson age 55, and Rosanne Boyland age 34, all lost their lives due to this act of violence. (Evelyn) Can we expect disorder and mortality of those caught in the cross-fire every four years after our preferred candidate is not elected? America sure is making history for the Presidency and civil rights movements, closely followed by acts of violence.

Foundationally our Country is struggling to find common ground and an identity everyone can relate with. If we continue down the path of destroying our atmosphere, and suffrage will reach every factor of life regarding Earth. If we continue down the path of pushing mental illness aside, overwhelmed teenagers will turn into nighty news suicide deaths. If we continue to go down the path of promoting violence to support our political parties, taxpayers are not equipped to keep up in damages. Can Kendle Jenner come out with another Pepsi commercial to bring us all together again?

Work Cited

“11 Facts about Global Warming | DoSomething.org | Volunteer for Social Change.” Dosomething.org, 2015, www.dosomething.org/us/facts/11-facts-about-global-warming.

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. “People with Certain Medical Conditions.” Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 11 Feb. 2020, www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/need-extra-precautions/people-with-medical-conditions.html.

National Geographic. “Global Warming Effects.” Nationalgeographic.com, 14 July 2017, www.nationalgeographic.com/environment/global-warming/global-warming-effects/.

Polumbo, Brad. “George Floyd Riots Caused Record-Setting $2 Billion in Damage, New Report Says. Here’s Why the True Cost Is Even Higher | Brad Polumbo.” Fee.org, 16 Sept. 2020, fee.org/articles/george-floyd-riots-caused-record-setting-2-billion-in-damage-new-report-says-here-s-why-the-true-cost-is-even-higher/.

Rettew, David. “COVID-19 and Youth Suicide: Do the Numbers Match the Headlines?” Www.mdedge.com, 12 Jan. 2021, www.mdedge.com/pediatrics/article/234482/mental-health/covid-19-and-youth-suicide-do-numbers-match-headlines?sso=true. Accessed 17 Feb. 2021. 

Solomon-Maynard, Morgan. “10 Surprising Mental Health Statistics from 2020.” Mental Health First Aid, 5 Nov. 2020, www.mentalhealthfirstaid.org/external/2020/11/10-surprising-mental-health-statistics-from-2020/. Accessed 5 Nov. 2020.  

Blake, J. (2016, March 31). It's time to talk about 'black privilege'. Retrieved March 02, 2021, from cnn.com/2016/03/30/us/black-privilege

I am a student in High School compleing my project for my AP synthesis essay.