The United States vs. Vietnam: Musical and Youth Subculture | Teen Ink

The United States vs. Vietnam: Musical and Youth Subculture

Though rap in Vietnam is usually opposed to the government, the industry continues to expand and allows juveniles to live their best lives while being fantastic scholars. On the other hand, rap in the United States is a mainstream form of entertainment but is more associated with violence and substance abuse than in Vietnam. These contrasting artistic decisions demonstrate the differences in culture and opinions in the two societies.

The United States openly embraces freedom of thought, expression, speech, and defense against tyranny. Generally, Americans are known to be quite frank and outspoken, and a majority of United States citizens believe in social mobility, the idea that one can move from one economic class to another. This belief is commonly called “The American Dream,” and the large number of immigrants pursuing this dream are a massive proponent of why the United States is so diverse. Among these critical aspects of culture are the arts or free creative expression, the forefront of this being music. Like its population, music in the United States ranges from classical and jazz to country and electronic. Often, genres of music combine and take traits from multiple styles to create something new. For example, alternative or experimental hip hop refers to hip hop that uses unconventional beats and more abstract vocals that don’t fit with conventional hip hop music. Though generally, pop music is the most popular type of music in the United States, it includes a wide variety of styles. To be more specific, hip hop is the most popular genre. Describing the Bronx in New York City, the music school called Icon Collective says, “[Hip Hop’s] development reflected the negative effects of post-industrial decline, political discourse, and a rapidly changing economy.” Nowadays, hip hop music is quite mainstream, but many negatively view it due to its often explicit topics like sex, drugs, gangs, violence, or other controversial topics. Looking at the Billboard Top 100 Chart in the United States, you may find that most of these songs focus not on the lyrics’ meaning but rather on the song’s melodies, flow, and overall mood/tone. This kind of music is very popular among the youth, and it tends to dominate the charts because of its use of catchy hooks and melodies. Despite its edgy focuses, hip hop is most popular with the youth--this is due to the emotional appeal of relating to the struggles which rap often describes. This type of music also shares the idea of ‘rags-to-riches’ and youthful rebellion. The American Academy of Pediatrics writes, “The preference for heavy metal music, rap, and associated genres among adolescents must alert us to an increased vulnerability and tendency toward risky behaviors.” The research article details a multitude of studies, but we must be careful not to confuse correlation for causation. Hip hop music is probably consumed more by teens who already participate in “risky behaviors” due to outside factors instead of misbehaving solely because of the music. On the other hand, there is “conscious rap,” a hip hop genre that carries a political message or comments on social issues. These issues reach wider audiences through music and display the freedom of expression in the United States. One modern example of this style is “This Is America” by Donald Glover, a.k.a. Childish Gambino. The song gained traction after its release in 2018 for its message about pop culture’s perception of the United States, Black life in America, gun violence, and the dark events that are normalized or ignored. In the United States, criticism of the government or the country is accepted and protected by law.

In contrast, Vietnam’s communist government accepts media censorship, blocking anything from magazines to movies and T.V. shows. Due to these restrictions, most Vietnamese citizens are forced to express their beliefs and read their favorite magazines behind closed doors. These residents fight for democracy and freedom similar to the United States’. Even though traditional culture may be the standard in Vietnam, numerous forms of music are censored by the ministry, such as punk, metal, rap, and indie-pop. The artists in these underground industries are usually self-taught. Also, Vietnamese songs in these genres focus more on identity rather than criticisms of the government. Vietnamese design strategist and music enthusiast Nam Phuong Thi Doan, writer of “Rap/Hip-Hop: the Rising of Underground Music and Youth Culture in Vietnam” told us that when rap reached Vietnam, it was “a breath of fresh air” and acted as a “shelter from traditional values.” In our interview, she spoke about how Vietnamese rap is a form of expression, and though the government censors strong language and more risque topics, hip hop is quite popular among the youth. Nam also told us about Rap Viet, a televised Vietnamese rap competition similar to The Voice. One of the Rap Viet coaches, Suboi, is the most prominent Viet hip hop artist, even being called the queen of Vietnamese hip hop. Taking inspiration from famous hip hop artists in America, Suboi began making her own music at around 16. Suboi says that she fell in love with hip hop because of its ability to express abstract ideas and exceed traditional music’s boundaries. Suboi expresses the uncertainty of life in her song, “Đời.” Some translated lyrics are, “Suddenly I saw two cops. My sister told me in tears our Dad wanted to jump off the roof. Then he said he was joking. I cried, ‘Dad, what have I done to you?’ It was the wrong time for the harvest.” These lyrics come from her song “Đời,” which translates to “Life” in English. Detailing her hardships and the nature of how unpredictable life can be, Suboi focuses on more serious topics than many other prominent Viet artists. Although underground music such as indie-pop may be neglected, upcoming artists can discover a pathway to their dreams by creating “DIY” music. Despite underground music being less accessible, it is well-received by the youth in Vietnam. 

Despite the contrasting governments, hip hop is popular in both Vietnam and the United States. Rap in the United States may be associated with more taboo subjects; however, in Vietnam, underground music such as rap is more commonly used to express diverse ideas and stories related to the struggles of daily life. In both countries, the youth are largely involved in the hip hop scene, although older citizens aren’t as rap-inclined. Vietnamese hip-hop takes a lot of inspiration from American hip-hop, as described by Nam Phoung Thi Doan, “Just as American Rap, Viet Rap is also an exercise of the youth’s hidden transcript under the teeth of power.” In the United States, hip hop is mostly dominated by the melody and beat rather than the lyrics; In Vietnam, hip hop is about defining and expressing identity.