Robots Are Not Evil. | Teen Ink

Robots Are Not Evil.

October 3, 2019
By RenesmeeRenee BRONZE, Sa, Texas
RenesmeeRenee BRONZE, Sa, Texas
2 articles 0 photos 5 comments

Favorite Quote:
Norman Bates: You know what I think? I think that we’re all in our private traps, clamped in them, and none of us can ever get out. We scratch and we claw, but only at the air, only at each other, and for all of it, we never budge an inch.
Marion Crane: Sometimes, we deliberately step into those traps.
-Psycho (1960)


Robots are not evil. They are merely humans like us. JUst without emotions and are made of artificial components. We’ve always had robots in our lives. It’s our television sets, our cell phones, our radios, and our cars to name a few. 

 They’ve also been the reason we have most of the things we can’t live without. The only difference is that those one are intelligent like humans.

 According to recent research, almost 60% of British people believe there will be a robot in every home within the next 50 years. We could have robot butlers and maids. Robots could make our lives easier. Or they could take other people's jobs. 

 If we have robots there won’t be factory workers, since the robots would be doing all the work. If we have robots, a lot of people who mainly have credentials of working as a housekeeper, may lose their jobs. We could even have robots take over healthcare. 

 It’s a little far fetched, but it’s a probability. 

 Though, there are upsides to having robots. People with social anxiety, depression, and other mental disorders may find it comforting to talk to an artificial lifeform, rather than a real human. For a lot of people., this may be their family pet, a stuffed animal, or an app on their smartphones. But the downside is, you don’t get a response back, or it’s an automated response based on past conversations. If there were intelligent robots, it would be like having your own therapist at all times, along with the fact that it’s free (not counting the beginning payment of purchasing the artificial lifeform.)

 It could also help people with disabilities not feel lonely when family is away. The family also wouldn’t have to pay for hours that the caretaker watches them. 

 People have actually already created robots to resemble us, just not many are in the U.S yet. These are called humanoids. The most realistic one being the Geminoid created by Hiroshi Ishiguro of The Ishiguro Intelligent Robotics Laboratory  located in Osaka Prefecture, Japan. Ishiguro has even developed a female version called the Repliee Q2. These models can recognize and process speech. 

Honda even created a robot that dates all the way back to 2000. It was called ASIMO. It has the ability to recognise moving objects, postures, gestures, understand its environment, and interact with humans. It was reportedly retired in 2018.

Another robot is Sophia, which scared half the population, while the other half turned her into a meme. 

 Sophia is a humanoid robot that has the ability to hold a conversation. She’s appeared in several high- profile interviews, including the Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon. 

 Sophia was created in Saudi Arabia as a citizen, but she also has been given the title of “Innovation Champion” in the United States.

A lesser known one may be the LG Rolling Bot. In 2016 this robot caught the attention of many articles including The Verge, Tech Crunch, even Amazon wrote an article. It is a mobile camera that can roll around and capture images and videos. It can also be used as a security monitoring system and/ or home companion. It’s smartphone compatible so that you can connect to your phone and see activity inside your home. 

There are downsides to having robots already living in our world, but there are a lot of upsides too. It’s not a thing of the future anymore. It’s been happening since 2000, we’ve only just begun to notice it.


The author's comments:

This is an essay I wrote for my IPC (Integrated Physics and Chem) class.