A Monster Calls Literary Analysis | Teen Ink

A Monster Calls Literary Analysis

June 4, 2019
By 12250040 GOLD, Wayne, New Jersey
12250040 GOLD, Wayne, New Jersey
10 articles 0 photos 4 comments

Everyone encounters some kind of loss at some point in their lives. Patrick Ness´s novel, A Monster Calls, depicts how Conor, a 13-year-old boy, deals with the departure of his family and friends. Because of his mumś illness, Conor isolates himself and loses his identity in school and home.  In this novel, the protagonist, Conor O’Malley, experiences loss in many ways.

At the beginning of the book, the theme of loss is expressed through Conor losing his best friend, Lily.  Even though they are not friends anymore, Lily still endeavors to protect Conor from Harry and his other bullies. Reflecting on their relationship, Conor felt enraged that she told his secret about his mumś illness. After she stands up to his bullies to help him, she continues to try to talk to Conor. ¨We used to be friends,’ Lily called after him. ‘Used to be,’ Conor said without turning around” (26).  This shows that Conor is unable to forgive her and he doesn’t want to repair their relationship. He felt betrayed because friends are supposed to keep secrets and if he forgives her for this, he would be admitting his truth and accepting the reality that his mum is dying. The loss of his best friend significantly impacted his experiences at school.

Additionally, the theme of loss is shown through the relationship with the yew tree monster. At the beginning of the story, Conor was in denial about his mum’s illness and called the yew tree monster to help him to heal. The monster taught Conor life lessons through stories. He taught Conor to admit his truth and accept his destiny. By the end of the story, Conor becomes close friends with the monster. He has helped Conor to confront his fears and admit that he wanted the waiting over. It was too painful to watch his mum suffer, but admitting this would turn his nightmare into a reality that he did not want. This would mean that he would have to deal with another loss. He knows he cannot do this alone and asks the monster to be there with him to see his mum for the final time in the hospital. “‘Yes,’ the monster said. It will be the final steps of my walking’” (193). This illustrates that the monster will be with him; however, it also shows that Conor will also be losing the monster. Conor has learned to accept his loss, which why he loses the monster.  Conor has developed a close relationship with the monster. Conor wonders how he will cope without the monster. The monster is like a friend to Conor, which is why he is upset at the monster for leaving him.

At the end of the book, the theme of loss is expressed through Conor letting go of his mum. Conor has a very close relationship with her. She is suffering from cancer and Conor is not ready to lose her.  In her final moments, the mum says, “‘I wish I had a hundred years’, she said very quietly. ‘A hundred years I could give to you” (168). This demonstrates that Conor’s mum will leave him, and there is nothing he can do about it.  He loves his mum very much and he does not want to let go of her. Conor eventually accepts his destiny and realizes that all stories don’t have happy endings.  However, Conor had hoped that the yew tree could cure his mum’s health condition, but that does not happen. The yew tree monster assists Conor instead. Conor has difficulty dealing with the loss of his mum.

A loss is a part of life that is not easy to acknowledge. Thirteen- year- old,  Conor O'Malley, was forced to accept the fact that loss is a part of life and he needed to face his truth. Conor had to face his emotions and figure out how to move on after losing his mum, the yew tree monster, and his best friend, Lily.  By the end of the book, Conor is capable of accepting his loss. Conor now knows that destiny is destiny, and it cannot be changed.


The author's comments:

A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness was a portion of my English course in the second marking period of my seventh grade year. I wrote this essay for my teacher. I scored an exemplary grade on this particular assignment.