Pediatric Nursing | Teen Ink

Pediatric Nursing

By ava22 BRONZE, Lewisburg, Ohio
ava22 BRONZE, Lewisburg, Ohio

Do you remember going to the doctor when you were young, to have someone tell you that your arm was broken, or that you had the flu and had to take a medication? Many times, a nurse came in and checked you out and said that the doctor would be in soon. But is that all they did? I decided when I was just 5 years old that I wanted to work in the medical field, but I didn't know much past that. A few years later, I decided that I wanted to be a Pediatric Nurse. Here is my research about Peds nursing and why it is so important to the world.

Overview

An important trait for a PN is the desire to serve other. Nurses often have to work with children who may not be easy to handle. They also have to be unbiased and accepting. The family of the children  that they may be treating might have different values or views of how their child should be cared for, so they must be able to be flexible and and patient because family-centered care is just as important as medical care.

Schooling & Education

To become a Pediatric Nurse, one must become a Registered Nurse. To become a registered nurse, the minimum is an associate degree, but a Bachelor’s degree is also available for an RN to get more money. Next, if an RN wants to become a practitioner, (basically a higher level nurse) they need to apply to a Pediatric primary care Nurse Practitioner Program. Working 1-2 years before applying is highly recommended.

Salary

Nurses who work primarily in one speciality normally earn more than other nurses. The salary can also depend on the state in which one works. For example, if you work in Massachusetts, New York, or Georgia, your pay grade will be elevated, but if you live in Mississippi, Alabama, or Iowa you may not make as much as some.

Career Demand

Registered Nurses are in the in-demand field and they will most likely stay that way. By 2024, there is an estimated growth rate of 16% which is much faster than most occupations. Adding on a specialty might even add more job security. Also, having a specialty makes a strong candidate for travel nursing jobs.

Career Outlook

PNs who work in private practices often conduct child wellness exams and perform physicals, whereas PNs who work in hospitals often administer immunizations, do screenings, and even diagnose and treat children with infectious diseases.

Types of Pediatric Nurses

Pediatric Registered Nurse: Care for infants and children under the age of 18

NICU Nurse: Care for premature infants and newborns

PICU Nurse: Care for children with serious medical conditions. They administer medicine, track vitals, etc.

Neonatal Nurse: Care for infants in the first few weeks of their life

Developmental Disability Nurse: Assist children with disabilities in home care or school settings

Pediatric Endocrinology Nurse: Assist children with endocrine disorders

Pediatric Oncology Nurse: Works with children with cancer

Why Is This Important

Nursing is one of the most important jobs in healthcare today. According to Patricia Manning-Courtney, MD, “Nurses are the backbone of healthcare, and we can’t do anything without them. They run our clinics, and provide direct care to patients in the hospital, and that’s not going away.  As we leverage doctors differently, there will be even more opportunity for nurses, and other health care providers including medical assistants, patient care attendants, etc.” I Iearned that nurses are what keeps the medical industry running, and thriving.

martymcfly88 said...
on May. 1 2019 at 9:34 am
martymcfly88, Lewisburg, Ohio
Such a great article. Good Job!!