Imagine | Teen Ink

Imagine

March 31, 2019
By Hayleigh2002 BRONZE, Leesville, Louisiana
Hayleigh2002 BRONZE, Leesville, Louisiana
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Imagine - you're a high school student, you get home from school and your parents are yelling at you for a failing grade. You protest, saying "She didn't teach this...", "she didn't help with this...", I'm not the only one failing..." but nothing works. To many parents, it's their child being lazy, but to students - in certain situations - it's a bad teacher.

A major problem with teaching nowadays is teachers don't help students who need assistance. In the article She Didn't Teach Us, We Had to Learn Ourselves, a student writes "he refused to answer questions. If you asked him a question, he responded by asking you a question." Though students asked for help on the assignment, the teacher did not help, which could be one reason students are failing certain classes - teachers neglecting questions.

There are many different kinds of people in classrooms, each with a different mind. Many students have different learning abilities. "The Condition of Education" states 13% of people in all public schools receive education services. That's 6.7 million people aged 3-21. (2018 April). In the article How Teachers Training Hinders Special-Needs Students, it states "a 2009 study concluded that no one explicitly shows teachers how to teach "different needs". Many students need extra help, but they can't receive it when their teacher(s) training doesn't cover it.

The third and final point is that teachers aren't teaching over subjects they fully understand. Teachers are lacking knowledge in the subjects they're teaching. The article 7 Characteristics of Bad Teachers, says "Most states require teachers to pass comprehensive series of assessments to obtain certification within a specific subject area...there are teachers who do not know the content knowledge...". This is stating that teachers are teaching things that they themselves don't know!

Many people may look at these views as valid, but there also may be people who don't agree. An article titled Teacher Collaboration in Curriculum Design Teams: Effects, Mechanisms, and Conditions, states "A major reason is that traditional teacher development practices were found to be inadequate, not  only for professional development and implementation, because of it's passive nature". This is stating that teachers have to change the original and probably better, way they teach to match the curriculum they are given.

In conclusion, more teachers need proper training and more students need to be aware of teachers who aren't helping - speak out and tell your parent or guardian about it! It's your current grades and your future job choices on the line!

Works cited:

Weimer, Maryellen. "She Didn't Teach Us, We Had to Learn Ourselves." Faculty Focus, September 10, 2014.

Mader, Jackie. "How Teacher Training Hinders Special-Needs Students." The Atlantic, March 1, 2017.

Meador, Derrick. "7 Characteristics of a Bad Teacher". Thought Co., February 22, 2018.

Voogt, Joke M. et al. "Teachers Collaboration in Curriculum Design Teams: Effects, Mechanisms, and Conditions". Informa, October 21, 2016.